1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest make the color palette more prominent

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Jake Bunce, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I feel like some people tend to go straight into customizing the CSS when it is more appropriate to start with the palette and then use the CSS for individual tweaks.

8thos, GofD and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'd like to do that, though it won't get a special UI until 1.1... though I suppose I could add it to the admin navigation. Hmm...

Floris likes this.
  3. Kier

Aah, well it's a start...

Screen shot 2011-02-16 at 19.35.37.png

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Not sure how useful it would be or if it would fall into the same thread, but what about while in the templates we have the same popup as we do in style properties for the color palette. Don't know how effective it might be but it could be useful rather then going back to look at the color palette. If that made sense... I feel I'm out of it today :)

5. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Just for sake of my own clarification, do you mean the drop-down list? *confused*

Some way to check what each color property is while editing templates (i.e. hovering over @primaryDarker and seeing the color or something) might be nice too.

6. Kier

Do you mean this one?

Screen shot 2011-02-16 at 20.05.27.png

GofD likes this.
  7. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

Like style VeeBieJeebies. :p

8. Kier

Hahaha, VeeBieJeebies is a little style I put together to test how flexible the XenForo style system can be. It's not a finished style, and never will be, but its goal is to dramatically change the look of the style using only style properties, just to see what's possible and demonstrate the immense power that's available.

You might recognise the style from which it derives its name ;)

Screen shot 2011-02-16 at 20.59.04.png

Screen shot 2011-02-16 at 21.12.40.png

Rob Fritz, Insy, Shelley and 6 others like this.
  9. GofD

GofD Well-Known Member

I've been amazed at how much you can do using just the Style Properties, although I have to admit I had to poke around a bit in the ACP before I figgled that out. :D

10. James

James Well-Known Member

The style properties have been a bugger to me, but that's just because I create awkward styles [​IMG]

It's a nice start to making the color palette more visible to the average admin!

11. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Hope someone doesn't see that... ;)

But that is very neat. It's actually a great idea for people who want to keep that style on their current forums, specifically those who do not get custom styles beyond color alterations, and just transfer to XenForo that way. It will less likely startle the users during the transfer.

12. Kier

I know what you're thinking - maybe I'll make an IPB version and a phpBB version too, just to prove a point ;)

ManagerJosh and Onimua like this.
  13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I'm referring to when I'm in the Template files like the specific code, if I'm adding additional code to say extra.css, somewhere right above the editor maybe make a popout with the color wheel/pre-define color palette, so as I'm coding new things for a design my color reference is right there on the editing page. When I get home I'll do a mock up so it makes more sense, my brain is fried :)

Onimua and Trombones13 like this.
  14. Kier

I get what you mean. Hmm... thinks...

GofD likes this.
  15. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Yeah; that would be a nice addition. :)

16. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

colors.png

There we go :), of course maybe in the better XF UI fashion

17. Kier

Implemented :)

Screen shot 2011-02-17 at 11.45.08.png Screen shot 2011-02-17 at 11.45.23.png

Dragonfly, Russ, Trombones13 and 3 others like this.
  18. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

That is going to be very handy. No more switching tabs to double check the color palette. :D

Oh, and it looks like we're getting RC3?

19. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

how to switch to the "VeeBieJeebies" ?

20. Kier

You can't. It's an experimental style on my local development board and apart from those two bits I've shown, the whole thing is a mess.