• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Mac Screen Recording - Is There a HD Free Software?

Anthony Parsons

I want to do some screen recordings on my mac for a person I am doing a few bits and pieces for, and want to make HD quality video's for them to insert into their pages so they can quickly reference them as a how-to guide.

I used the built-in quicktime, and it does an ok job, but it doesn't do it in HD. It says it can export in HD, and I did that, but when played at like 800 x 600, its not the best quality.

Is there an actual HD screen capture for mac that's free / cheap, as I don't plan on doing many of these.

Any help from mac guru's much appreciated, as I am still a newbie to mac.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
I use the built-in Quicktime X (OS X 10.6) screen recording system. The quality is very very good indeed and it records at whatever resolution your primary display is running, so if you run at 1920 x 1200 it will be recording at better than HD resolution.

Anthony Parsons

I thought that was what you used from reading previously... but I trimmed it up in iMovie and exported it... which is where I think I did the damage to the resolution. I just found export in quicktime, which I think may fix it and keep it at its original resolution.

Kier

XenForo Developer
Staff member
What is the destination for the movies? If it's YouTube or Vimeo, don't export them at all, just upload the full size originals.

F

Floris

iShowU HD from a shiny white box is what I use, alongside the qt7 screen recorder.

Anthony Parsons

Thanks... will do just that. They are going on my site and using a Joomla plugin that embeds them directly. They aren't for public, just for the staff of a company to view on how to do things. A video is way better than obviously even a picture, so I am just making how-to videos for them on how to perform tasks with their clients within the software.

I looked at vimeo and using the password option, but then I found a direct embed which is nice, considering it would only ever be staff viewing under private circumstances... I figure external hosting just isn't required.

F

Floris

Hm, good point .. let me check.

Ah - it's because I always use QT7 to edit imported .mov files for family members (something qtx is quite horrible at) yeah: .. Version 10.0 (118) QTX

F

Floris

I've always used it for Mac screen recording. Because it writes it directly to disk, and you can set the size or just select a program, has presets, etc.

Anthony Parsons

iShowu HD is unbelievably awesome and sooooo simple that even I can use it. HD 720p videos done in minutes, uploaded to youtube HD... embedded back into site/s. Much easier than writing tutorials or explanations with snapshots.

Anthony Parsons

The results become quite impressive with the HD technology for screen capture... I must admit.

A little xenforo test, view it fullscreen in the 720p, and its quite clear.