1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by glorify, Jul 23, 2011.

1. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

Anyone using? What are your thoughts? What pointing device are you using? Program incompatibilities?

Brett Peters likes this.
  2. Floris

Floris Guest

I've gone ahead and invested in Lion, not regretting it. I've upgraded it to Server edition.
    I haven't run into a program yet that wouldn't open.

3. glorify

Are you using the trackpad or mouse?

4. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

No major problems yet. Not sure how keen I am on Launchpad but will get used to it.

p.s. using a magic mouse on iMac

glorify likes this.
  5. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Oh and check if you have anything using PPC code before upgrading as it won't work at all. I think CS3 falls into this category according to a few reports but I've not checked that myself.

6. cmeinck

cmeinck Well-Known Member

Check out roaringapps.com.

Overall, I've had only a few issues that I was able to troubleshoot with updates.

glorify likes this.
  7. glorify

Thanks. I just want to make sure my photoshop elements 9 works with it and see if it was worth the upgrade if I don't currently us a trackpad.

8. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I'm worried about programs not working.
    I have a bunch of Adobe programs that don't wish to upgrade.
    I know Quicken won't work. For that I'll get a windows version.

9. Floris

Floris Guest

Logitech Performance MX wireless mouse, but about to buy the trackpad.

10. glorify

If I get Lion, I will too :)

11. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm loving it. No problems with any of my programs and loving the "iOS like" features.

glorify likes this.
  12. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

Just installed and the first setting I changed was Scroll direction: Natural, Seriously would anyone use that ?
    Hmm where is my server admin icon I wonder, Looks like I need some time to fiddle and adjust to the new layout

13. steven s

I still use Office 2004. From what I read, it won't work.
    I need to use Office for work and am not looking to upgrade since my Mac is not a company computer.

14. jasetaro

jasetaro Well-Known Member

I installed it on my laptop yesterday, first impression: so far so good. I like it, I haven't run into any major compatibility problems, the only real complaint I have at the moment is Launch Pad... it's a bit of a yawn, I don't really see any practical use for it, the application menu on the dock is easier to use IMO. :)

glorify likes this.
  15. Floris

Floris Guest

That's not a complaint though .. that's just an icon you drag out of the dock and let go, .. to make it go away. You don't have to use it.

16. steven s

I wish there was a program that would read all my apps and tell me what will no longer run.

17. Floris

Floris Guest

18. Carl

Carl Well-Known Member

A fairly pointless upgrade all in all.

19. steven s

Thanks, but I saw that website earlier. I have many programs I rarely use but when I need it, I need it.
    I was looking for something that would scan my drive and check to what programs would work maybe by comparing it to a list of known programs.
    I'm holding off with Lion. From what I am reading, why do I want my computer to look like an iPad?

20. steven s

Just found this tip at http://www.retrotechs.net/?p=1581

PowerPC - not OK
    Universal - should be OK
    Intel - OK

added
    So so far it looks like Quicken, Office 2004, Photoshop CS3, Adobe Golive, BBEdit won't work.
    I'll have to get used to Dreamweaver.