1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not Planned Load Post New thread in lightbox

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Shamil, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I'm not sure everyone would like this, but I do see some people, at least, agreeing on this. Nethertheless, I believe that this may come in useful.

In order to reduce page load, and such, it might be useful to load the "Post New Thread" page content into a lightbox, instead of loading its own page. Further, this could be seen as a quick(er) way to post a new thread.

Why have this? Basically, it speeds up the time it takes for someone to post a new thread, but also, removes the additional minute detail for the average forum member, which he or she may not care about when posting a new thread. The options for "Watch this thread" and "and receive email notifications" would be taken from user settings. If user wanted to post a poll, or upload a file, an "Advanced" button would provide interface to posting the current content in-editor to the advanced, more detailed, current, Create Thread page.

Collusion to this, I think that there should be a standard to the nomenclature, ie. either: "Create Thread" or "Post New Thread".
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Ok wow, noone thought this could be a doable idea.
  3. captainslater

captainslater Well-Known Member

I think this wouldn't be forum like. Also I imagine that two options (Create Thread and Post New Thread) could lead to confusions for users.
  4. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

Is it just me or do lightboxes feel 'unstable' from a UI/UX standpoint? Not the best place to type a post.
  5. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Right now, they are using both Create Thread and Post New Thread.
  6. captainslater

Hm never noticed "Create Thread" before at this place.
  7. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Click on the Post New Thread, the page details to Create Thread.
  8. captainslater

Oh you're right :D
  9. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

I think it's just you. They are pop-up UI elements, I don't know what about them feels "unstable."
  10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Unstable? The less clutter, the better. Maybe I'm a minimalist.
  11. captainslater

It's a matter of how they can be used for people with handicaps.
  12. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I don't find them 'unstable', but I think its use should be kept to specific things.

I totally do not agree to loading the new thread page into Lightbox, or anything else for that matter, they should stay as their own pages.

EDIT: Typo's :(.
    Quillz likes this.
  13. welshstew

welshstew Active Member

Well the JS pops up the lightbox - if JS is not enabled the link could just go to a standard form
  14. Luke F

Luke F Well-Known Member

I suppose I should explain what I meant - lightboxes containing images are generally prone to closing unexpectedly, so typing in one would be a bit disconcerting.

Also it will never be as practical as a separate page - users should be free to open pages in tabs if they want to without having to jump through hoops (multiple stages of editors).
    Onimua and Forsaken like this.
  15. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Something like this would just piss off the users when the lightbox glitched or disappeared. Not something I would want implemented.
  16. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I've never had this happen at all.
  17. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Ok, how about not using a lightbox, and something else to minimise the content for posting a new thread?
  18. captainslater

I think it is minimalistic right now.
    Nick likes this.