License Display and Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon

After seeing the bold display of someone posting they had a "valid" license in the Manual Request area, and yet their site was hosting and distributing a cracked version of XF 1.1.4, I looked into this idea a bit more. Here is what I have come up with.

Postbit Display
license2.webp license3.webp

Now, as you can see, a simple field with either "Licensed" or "Associate". There shouldn't be any reason why these cannot be displayed. If you are trusting enough to have someone listed as an Associate, you shouldn't have an issue if others know they are on your license as well.

Now, their is a link for the titles, that will display an overlay when viewed from the postbit:

Overlay
license1.webp

Again, the license holder should be listed first, and possibly have something that identifies they are the ones with the license. Since you are allowed up to 4 names, I just used the max and went with it. For each of those names, they will have the "Associate" title listed under their name and before their user-title.

If a member has yet to purchase a license, or has had theirs revoked, nothing will be displayed. Pretty simple.

Of course, this can be expanded to the member card, with it in the same location, as well as having a tab or block on their profile page.

Member Card
membercard.webp

Obviously, that link would have to go to the members profile page (if in a block) or to the Member Association tab.

Thoughts?

*Note - All members listed here have a xF License. I just felt they were the least likely to moan about having their images used.

I fully agree, along with changes in the permissions on who can post where. There are far too many posting in the bug reports forum expecting help when they don't have a licensed copy.

You don't quit do you. Why is this something that your so bent on, The term busybody springs to mind.

Do I get a sword and a parrot?

Your look:
pirate.png

Sounds like a good idea to me, and would also cut down on the number of threads people reply to trying help people before their thread gets locked before they get found out they don't have a licence

Your look:
pirate.png

(y) Still want a parrot!

Seriously, though, I do like this idea. I've had my own share of trouble with people pirating the custom styles from my sites, it sucks to know that people are actually adding others to their licences so they can abuse the system in place to combat illegal downloads.

You don't quit do you. Why is this something that your so bent on, The term busybody springs to mind.

This is the reason.....

arrrrghhh.webp

These are names that have attempted to get "verified" at xFS. Since I have no life, and feel it is my responsibility as to who can download what developers are providing at xFS, I look into these names. I have quite a "pirate checklist" going. Of these, all but maybe 1 didn't post in the MANUAL VERIFICATION THREAD here at xenforo.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/manual-customer-verification.34054/

Also, did not not recently see this one:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/manual-customer-verification.34054/page-10#post-509726

Rude.

He's just trying to help.

This is something that would be a huge help to add-on developers, and something that should be perfectly rational for everyone... who don't have anything to hide.
He's not a add on developer though, so hes just sticking his nose in to something that's not his concern. Whats his ulterior motive?
The Xenforo team are fully capable to come up with a solution on their own terms, which I'd support.

This is something that needs to be done in order to prevent those who aren't licensed or authorized to act on the licensee's behalf from receiving technical assistance.

So. What exactly is your problem with this? And don't give me the "privacy" drivel, as there's absolutely nothing about the OPs request that violates anyone's privacy.

This is something that needs to be done in order to prevent those who aren't licensed or authorized to act on the licensee's behalf from receiving technical assistance.

So. What exactly is your problem with this? And don't give me the "privacy" drivel, as there's absolutely nothing about the OPs request that violates anyone's privacy.
As I've said in my post one above.

This is the reason.....
Of these, all but maybe 1 didn't post in the MANUAL VERIFICATION THREAD here at xenforo.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/manual-customer-verification.34054/

Also, did not not recently see this one:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/manual-customer-verification.34054/page-10#post-509726
All you've done there and just reinforce the point I'm making, If they've managed to post in the manual verification thread, then they've got a licence, yet they are still pirating. How is having something under the users name any different from posting the the thread. Its the same thing, I personally would rather have the Xenforo team working on something useful rather than coding something that's just not needed as its not going to stop pirating.

While I think the only place people should be able to post without out a licence is in the presales forum, all the others should only be available for licensed customers to post in, its not my place to tell the xenforo team how they should run there own site.

He's not a add on developer though, so hes just sticking his nose in to something that's not his concern. Whats his ulterior motive?
The Xenforo team are fully capable to come up with a solution on their own terms, which I'd support.
But he does release things here, which I think gives him the right to make a suggestion.

Its the same thing, I personally would rather have the Xenforo team working on something useful rather than coding something that's just not needed as its not going to stop pirating.

In your opinion it's not useful. For others, it is not only useful, it is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom