Large Database Size

bluemartian

I just dumped my XF database for the first time (new customer/new test installation) in preparation for doing some test imports. I have 5 add-ons and 4 styles installed. Minimal data to speak of yet as this is a newly installed forum with just some sample forums and threads and 3 mock user accounts to test things out before importing. The MySQL dump yielded a SQL file over 75 MB in size which really surprised me being so large.

My old vBulletin forum has about 10 years worth of data in it, over 50 styles installed and dozens of add-ons and it comes to about 60 MB when dumped. What in the world makes XF's database so huge so early in the game before any real data is added when there are so few add-ons and styles installed by comparison?

XenForo uses innodb database tables, while vBulletin used the old and discontinued myisam tables.

The advantages of innodb is that it is much more stable and not prone to database corruption, as myisam was. Further innodb is the new default standard for MySQL, while myisam development has been discontinued in MySQL and further support of it will be removed in MySQL 6.

But as you have noticed, innodb is a little larger than myisam.

Thanks for the info, Adam. Interesting. It surely surprised me when that new database came out so large. "A little larger" is a bit of an understatement, but at least I'll be prepared for much bigger backups now. Looks like I'm picking a good time to upgrade if support for myisam is being discontinued. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info, Adam. Interesting. It surely surprised me when that new database came out so large. "A little larger" is a bit of an understatement, but at least I'll be prepared for much bigger backups now. Thanks again.
Just remember the trade off is improved stability and quoting some sources, security as well.

You're welcome :)

After my conversion from SMF to XF my database has doubled. So I think this is because of the search index, too.

U mean MyISAM engine will be completely removed from MySQL 6 and above?
From what I read it will be phased out.

MyISAM development was discontinued in MySQL 5.1.x and only security and performance updates were applied through 5.1.x - 5.5.x .... No updates have been applied to 5.6 as it stands. They're really pushing the default standard as Innodb

It has been commented (by MySQL development) that MySQL 6 or a following version 6.x would completely phase it out. There is no exact time or date and that road map may change, as with any development. But it has been discontinued and not developed further.

Just remember the trade off is improved stability and quoting some sources, security as well.

You're welcome :)
I would love to see these sources, the storage engine used within MySQL is only as secure as the MySQL installation itself as none of the stock engines offer encryption of any sort.

MyISAM is also extremely stable, the actual benefit that InnoDB brings over MyISAM is the fact that it supports MVCC and row based locking instead of table based locking. Both InnoDB and MyISAM are extremely stable engines when used appropriately.

Top Bottom