XF 2.1 Léo and Leo

Steve Freides

When I search for Léo or for Leo, a user named Léo or Leo will show up - it's as if XenForo internally dropped all the marks.

I also notice that searching our forum via Google, searching for Léo will find Leo. A forum search using the built-in search also works the same way.

I'd appreciate an explanation as to how this works, please - is thinking that it strips diacritical marks internally when searching a good enough understanding for my purposes as an administrator?

I'd also like a recommendation to allow Léo as a username or insist that it be Leo. We have some username with diacritical marks already, and so far as I can tell, they cause no problems. So I think allowing username with diacritical marks is OK. We are not, however, going to allow characters other than the normal, American/English/etc. alphabet, and we've also asked that all posts on our forum be made in English so that the moderators can understand them.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

-S-

I am not an expert but I believe it depends on your database collation. Most of us should have utf8 and everything works based on that. So your MySQL is using that collation and built-in standards, and I believe accent/diacritics are removed by default.

If you switch to elasticsearch, you can actually tell the system to remove it or not.
1583793965003.png

edit: ninja'd by Brogan

Top Bottom