[KL] CoinHive Integration [Deleted]

Lukas W.

katsulynx submitted a new resource:

[KL] CoinHive Integration - Seize the opportunity and let your users mine crypto-currency instead of block your ads.

Important: This add-on is currently in beta stage. For as long as it remains in beta, you will receive a 15€ discount on your purchase. Additionally, your update duration will not start until this add-on is fully released, meaning you will receive a full 12 months of updates once the add-on leaves beta.

Important: I do not have any automated payment processor. If you want to buy this add-on, please start a conversation...

Read more about this resource...

Very cool @katsulynx!

I've been following CoinHive since it's inception. It's very interesting to see crypto making it's way into things like this.

XMR mining is tough, but with enough users this could have some serious potential for revenue.

I think I'll skip it for now, but I'm going to follow this closely. I think the ultimate solution would be a currency system that users can earn by normal forum activity (posting, liking, thread starting, daily visits, etc.) and a marketplace for users to spend the site currency (XFRM, user upgrades, something like this ) as well as option for fiat deposits, and optional mining for credits.

I'm very interested to hear results of large websites that implement this. Going to keep a close watch on this.

I think the ultimate solution would be a currency system that users can earn by normal forum activity

Looked into it a long time back, making my own forum-esq blockchain, but the ability to abuse with fake activity is too easy.

There is also an ethics point of view with this (when you get your users to "donate" hashing power... If someone wants to pay for a user upgrade, then they will usually pay for it unless they cant, ask who those people are? Mostly the younger audience. Meaning if they hop onto something like this to pay for it, that is going to involve hashing, drawing power to do so, which ultimately has to be paid from the person paying the bills.

Mostly the younger audience.

While this is certainly a group that favors free content for obvious reasons, this is also the group that is most unlikely to participate in a forum these days. With most of them being stuck in social media, the few that occasionally hang around in forums might not even know about your upgrades unless you make 150% sure to punch it into their faces whereever they go.

If someone wants to pay for a user upgrade, then they will usually pay for it unless they cant

This statement unfortunately ignores the two other groups: Those that do not want to pay for user upgrades and those, who would rather not, if they didn't had to. The later one for example is the group that would buy World of Warcraft playtime tokens for ingame money rather than real money.
You have to consider that when you offer user upgrades through mining, you extend your offer to these potential groups. When someone is active a lot on your board, he might not mind to dedicate a little of his processing power if he gets something in return that he would otherwise never have considered to buy. You have to keep in mind though, that if your user upgrade for example costs $5/month, letting him mine this price in hashes seems fairly utopic, so don't even try to match these prices.

Are you going to support xenforo 1.x? :cry:

Unfortunately not. I do not have any plans to write any more add-ons for XF1. That's why I shifted all my XF1 add-ons to unmaintained as well.

If people change page the basic miner stop and start or continue?

From a technical perspective it starts from the scratch, as it has to. But it doesn't make a difference in regrads to stuff like your earned balance and the like. The user will mostly not even notice the basic miner is there, except for the once-per-session confirmation window to ask for permission.

Last edited:
Wow this looks amazing but at the same time looks complicated! How easy would it be to set this up? also, by people mining, how would you get compensated? Will you get it send to a wallet? Can you please explain that. Thank you!

Wow this looks amazing but at the same time looks complicated! How easy would it be to set this up?
Not that complicated. It should be pretty self-explanatory, but if any questions remain, I'm here to answer them.

also, by people mining, how would you get compensated? Will you get it send to a wallet? Can you please explain that. Thank you!
You get an account balance at CoinHive equal to what your users have mined, that you can withdraw for a small per-transaction fee.

if not interested in coin-hive API and stats you can use a different pool in where mine and pay only 1% or less instead of 30%. Coin-hive stats are useful to upgrade users in relation to their "work".

Take a look here to use a different pool:
https://github.com/cazala/coin-hive-stratum

@katsulynx how about intercept that data and have local stats instead of coin-hive's ones?

Avoid to pay 30% to coin-hive? :D

A matter of time until they find a way to block you from exploiting their script for a different miner. If you steal their lifebase, the project will crash sooner or later, leaving you with nothing.

A matter of time until they find a way to block you from exploiting their script for a different miner. If you steal their lifebase, the project will crash sooner or later, leaving you with nothing.
The only thing needed is the downloadable js file.

Anyone try this on a significant user base yet? Would love to see some real figures.

Very interested in this but I'd have to switch over to 2.0, not to mention purchase this addon...

Very interesting addon. I'm just unsure of the tax implications. Is it possible to have each user setup their own coinhive accounts and mine from specific web pages like a chat room/shoutbox? A perk for being present? Probably wouldn't get used as much since it requires end user knowledge.

Unfortunately CoinHive is now blocked by most Anti-Virus applications and add blockers. I cant even sign up to CoinHive if I wanted to. Putting coinhive on your site will cause antivirus to mark your site as malicious and warn your users about this.

It may be interesting to implement a similar approach as BOINC: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/
The user needs to download the miner (Open Source)

Top Bottom