Joomla To Wordpress - Seeing The Error Of My Ways

Anthony Parsons

Well... after many recommendations from people here that WP is much better than Joomla these days, I have been looking at it more and more, and you're all right, WP is a better solution than Joomla these days. WP seems to have a much greater community of developers now than Joomla, and it only continues to increase, so change is now imminent, yet easy... as something right out of the gate that Joomla doesn't have built-in is the import tool. Wow... how easy is that. Install the raw platform and it comes with a Joomla importer. Impressed already.

After reading all the nonsense here with Joomla bridges, with a WP bridge already existing, the decision is easy.... import and change.

So I am now a convert to the WP user base.

Well... after many recommendations from people here that WP is much better than Joomla these days, I have been looking at it more and more, and you're all right, WP is a better solution than Joomla these days. WP seems to have a much greater community of developers now than Joomla, and it only continues to increase, so change is now imminent, yet easy... as something right out of the gate that Joomla doesn't have built-in is the import tool. Wow... how easy is that. Install the raw platform and it comes with a Joomla importer. Impressed already.

After reading all the nonsense here with Joomla bridges, with a WP bridge already existing, the decision is easy.... import and change.

Getting custom work done for WP tends to be much cheaper as well :rolleyes:.

The key to using WP is being able to post back and forth between it and xF and integration of the content. Other than that, I would agree that WP is the way to go. There are many themes out there that are setup for a CMS-like experience now using WP that it has become an all-in-one software. :)

Jason, it's actually VERY easy to use. Just have to get familiar as to where things are. If my 71 year old Father can run websites using WP, you certainly can! :D

Jason, it's actually VERY easy to use. Just have to get familiar as to where things are. If my 71 year old Father can run websites using WP, you certainly can! :D
Yeah, I'll have to play around with it more. Very well could be something I utilize in the future.

After 7 years of Joomla (Mambo), I made the switch earlier this year to WordPress after my brief fling with the debacle that was vB4's CMS. I miss the flexibility of Joomla templates (modules), but have found my way around WP to create similar usability. It's just refreshing to use software that's so light and efficient. The same could be said for my move from vB to XF.

As per the title of this thread.. Im just not there yet.. I do believe WP is probably a better solution but ive never been able to get it to do what i need. I hope i dont regret it but ill probably stick with Joomla.. Of course i suppose now would be as good a time as any to look at WP again, before i have to commit to either.

Now, XenForo Limited offering a $99 addon for blog that can also run stand alone on blog.mysite.com .. NOMNOOMNOM i would pay for that in a heart beat, over wordpress.

Yer... Joomla does need a serious rewrite, and I knew that whilst using it... and WP is certainly a new learning curve for me. Everything I knew, tossing it out the door to relearn WP... but I figure I just did it and still in the process off it from VB to XF... so why not CMS as well!!!! :eek:

Yer... Joomla does need a serious rewrite, and I knew that whilst using it... and WP is certainly a new learning curve for me. Everything I knew, tossing it out the door to relearn WP... but I figure I just did it and still in the process off it from VB to XF... so why not CMS as well!!!! :eek:

Same here. Biggest tip I can offer is to check out Widget Logic. It allow you to show/hide widgets (aka modules) based on a assortment of criteria. It's not near as easy as Joomla, but it works in a crunch.

Thanks for sharing that - My site is still hardcoded and apart from changing forum I also want to make the content dynamic. So, it's a shortlist of either WP or Joomla. I have seen good sites using both, but it's always good to read of people's experiences when comparing both. I guessed much the same, the WP community does seem a little bigger, and for a newbie like me, WP seems easier to get started with. My host offers a cpanel based install, and I can just buy and install the theme I want, job done.

I was getting a little worried earlier, as I use Joomla's sorting features for articles, and WP doesn't have it, but after some searching, exactly why I'm changing... there are several mods that plugin to deal with sorting using any column in the wp_post table... so that is a unique way of doing things, but really expanded my options beyond just a few default settings.

A little painful still learning it... but slowly getting there as I plug away at it today.

I just started a Wordpress site.
Had it runing in zero time.
I find the user interface very intuitive.
The inline editing while logged into your own site is great too.

Yer... Joomla does need a serious rewrite,
Of course, it is getting it. The release of Joomla! 1.6 is imminent. I do believe Joomla 1.6 will prove to be a powerful platform. Hopefully Joomla will learn that taking 2.75 years to release new features in your CMS is wrong. I think they have. Other wierd things still make me uncertain ie. why Google bypassed them for Summer of Code students.

I use WordPress as a placeholder blog for the site I'm trying to redevelop, and it does work quite well (and testing elsewhere has shown it to be fairly flexible for building content); however, I've been trying to rebuild a website that I don't own, but do run the community side of. I want to rebuild the site (in a dev environment first) to show the owner of the site that there is a way to bring all of the content together using just a CMS and forum (currently, it runs upwards of four different scripts [main site, game help, industry news, reviews, forums and videos] and thousands of static pages). I tried Joomla, but couldn't get it to do what I needed in order for it to be a useful script, and also couldn't get help from anyone within the Joomla community for one reason or another. WordPress, on the other hand, has had some fairly decent help available, and I've been able to do what I want so far.

Guess I'll ask this here, with so many WordPress users around, and see if perhaps it can be as flexible as needed: Can WordPress handle (or come close to handling) all of the scripts mentioned above (user-contributed reviews, industry news [separate from site news], videos, and a sort of portal) as well as holding a database extremely full of game help information (sorted in an alphabetical list, by console, and sectioned into individual pages for each game [with the potential to go with more than one page per-game]) covering just about every gaming system that has existed today? Figured I'd ask here, while there was a discussion ongoing, as someone may have experience with this...

I know it's a blogging system, but with extensions and such, can it handle multiple genuine pages and such for the above?

Thanks Blandt and nice suggestions... I was thinking about caching last night, as its slow and nasty at present and dragging the server more than Joomla did, and I haven't even finished sending all the articles live. I forgot about the fuzzy seo that is developed for wordpress.... will have to get a hold of it. Nice thinking mate.

Top Bottom