1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Kaiser, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

I have been making forums for a while now, in my time of making them I have been hacked once (defaced). So I have this phobia and fear of always getting hacked now.. lol I worry like everyday if I will just go to my website to only find it defaced again. I have very strong secure passwords for my important things like my hosting CP, paypal, email, my site's login, etc. But im still scared of getting hacked. Have you ever been hacked? Is it normal?

2. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

RFI hackerbots are attacking forums 24/7/365, so if your server security is weak you will be hacked.

Run a software firewall.

If your script has holes in it like the recent vBulletin 3.8.6 FAQ vulnerability you can bet on it, you will be hacked, I have busted 100's of hackers running that command line, some of them are still running it, I banned one just last week.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Yea Ik about the vb 3.8.6 exploits and I use fatcow for hosting, it think they are pretty secure.

4. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

hahahaha I just clicked watch this thread :D :D :D

The Russian hackers are goanna get you :D (just kidding :D )

5. AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea Well-Known Member

To Blandt it is as easy as pushing a button (install stop forum spam module) and don't worry be happy !! :mad:

PS: If you are on a shared server, you better ask your host if they are running mod_security firewall on that system.

http://www.modsecurity.org/

steven s likes this.
  6. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

7. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

LMAO hhaha ... I have replied on purpose just for you Anthony :D

@Torrez
    I will post some good material for you to read :)

Terrorz likes this.
  8. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

Torez ,
    Say .... do you have SSH access ?

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

lol Torez...
    I dont know let me check blunt.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

My host is suppose to provide it right? Yea if it is I dont think they give us access? why is it something important?

11. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

If you are on Dedicated Servers/VPS Yes they are suppose to provide you one . In shared hosting you need to talk to them for it.

12. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

Are you hosted with powweb.com?
    $3.88/month unlimited diskspace, unlimited bandwidth?

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

If you read a few posts back I said my host was fatcow. Im on the yearly plan

http://www.fatcow.com/fatcow/fatcow.bml?cid=638

14. steven s

15. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

Over that it's never Unlimited Bandwith on shared hosting's it's just saying i have been asked to move my sites many times when bandwith was increasing slowly .

16. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

Ok .. For shared plans the server security is your host's responsibility ... HOWEVER you need to secure your ftp and your application yourself

17. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

Are there any applications to do that? So the server im on is not secure?

18. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

no no .. I mean you do not have to worry about firewalls , iptables .... (that's what I was going to post for you)

Your data is exposed either because of your server's configuration, or because your application has some security holes.

19. steven s

For starters, use different passwords for everything!
    I use a different passwords for every database I have.
    I also use http://strongpasswordgenerator.com/ to come up with random characters.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Well-Known Member

ahh ok, cleared up a big confusion
    Yea my passwords are all secure as well.