iPad accessories (keyboards, cases, etc.)

Trombones13

I'm planning to get an iPad (32GB, Wi-Fi only) shortly and have been researching bundles and accessories at various stores. That brought up a couple of questions, and since I'd say there's a fairly tech-oriented audience here, this is as good a place as any to ask, I suppose!
  • If you have Apple's iPad Smart Cover, what do you think of it? Is it worth the $35 purchase?
  • Other than Sam's ($11 discount for members) and Walmart ($5 VUDU movie credit + discounted wall charger, nine-piece bundle, or Smart Cover), do you know of any stores that offer bundles or discounts?
  • I'm not a huge fan of touch-screen keyboards--does anyone have a Bluetooth keyboard (wireless or built into a case)? Do you like it, and how portable is it?
  • Any case recommendations? If I buy through Walmart, I'll probably get that bundle that has a case in it, but it doesn't look particularly protective.
I'm planning to use it in classes (notes, PDFs, documents, etc.) as well as for general use, so portability and small desk space are kind of important. I'm just curious to know what accessories you use if you're an iPad owner and what you think of 'em. Thanks! :)

I purchased a smart cover off of eBay for $22, and love it.
I also purchase a Targus Bluetooth keyboard from Staples office supply for $59.
I use a standard laptop case which both my iPad, the keyboard, and other accessories fit into, and I'm good to go.

The keyboard works great. But I find myself using the touch keyboard on the iPad more (built in autocorrect).

BTW, I can just about guarantee that you won't use half the items in that bundle.

I purchased a smart cover off of eBay for $22, and love it.
I also purchase a Targus Bluetooth keyboard from Staples office supply for $59.
I use a standard laptop case which both my iPad, the keyboard, and other accessories fit into, and I'm good to go.

The keyboard works great. But I find myself using the touch keyboard on the iPad more (built in autocorrect).

BTW, I can just about guarantee that you won't use half the items in that bundle.
That's true--I would use the case, the wall charger, and maybe the car charger, but the rest of the bundle isn't really necessary...maybe it'd be better to get a Smart Cover and just charge via PC until I find a cheaper wall charger. That keyboard looks nice (and it's only $47 on Amazon)!

I'm planning to use it in classes (notes, PDFs, documents, etc.)
Exactly what are you going to be doing with it. Use it as an input device ? To "write on" PDFs ?

Disclaimer: I am an administrator of a large (but getting smaller) vBulletin forum dealing with Tablet PCs. I use a Tablet PC everyday and I have an iPad mostly for testing purposes.

The examples of how I'd use it in class were just part of why I want one. The classes in my major often have PDFs as reading assignments, as does one of my other classes, and my math textbook is a PDF as well (thank goodness!), so it'd be useful for portability over lugging my laptop around. Would likely be nice for presenting things in class as well. It'd also be nice for quickly browsing websites, news, email, social media, etc. and the app selection isn't something I want to give up for a slightly cheaper device (if it's cheaper at all). I've pretty much made my decision on the product, though, so that's not the issue--it's what accessories to get, and if any happen to come as a discounted bundle.

I ordered through Walmart because of the $5 accessory deal. What a deal! Five bucks???

Ematic 9-in-1 Accessory Kit for iPad 2:
  • Leatherette case lets you enjoy your device on the move and in style
  • Car charger allows you to charge your device while traveling
  • USB wall charger eliminates the need for a computer when charging your device
  • Audio splitter allows two headphones to be connected simultaneously
  • Screen protector
  • Cleaning cloth
  • 3.5mm cable
  • Wood earbuds provide premium sound with style to match
  • Protective crystal case included

I ordered through Walmart because of the $5 accessory deal. What a deal! Five bucks???

Ematic 9-in-1 Accessory Kit for iPad 2:
  • Leatherette case lets you enjoy your device on the move and in style
  • Car charger allows you to charge your device while traveling
  • USB wall charger eliminates the need for a computer when charging your device
  • Audio splitter allows two headphones to be connected simultaneously
  • Screen protector
  • Cleaning cloth
  • 3.5mm cable
  • Wood earbuds provide premium sound with style to match
  • Protective crystal case included

That's the bundle I was looking at (though it's an additional $10 now, apparently)--do you have it? How sturdy is the case and is there anything you don't like about it? :)

The iPad is a great device for consumption (reading PDFs).
It is a terrible device to take notes on.
If you are going to try to write on PDFs it isn't going to work well.
I've never tried the Keyboard with it.
If the Keyboard works well and you are a good typer ... then you might be able to take notes on it.

If you are going to take 6 pages of written notes for a class ... you might just want to write on paper and scan it to PDF. or leave it on paper.

The iPad is a great device for consumption (reading PDFs).
It is a terrible device to take notes on.
If you are going to try to write on PDFs it isn't going to work well.
I've never tried the Keyboard with it.
If the Keyboard works well and you are a good typer ... then you might be able to take notes on it.

If you are going to take 6 pages of written notes for a class ... you might just want to write on paper and scan it to PDF. or leave it on paper.
The only notes I take are for classes too..."complex" (French and math, lol) to do via computer, so I do those on paper anyway. (y)

The only notes I take are for classes too..."complex" (French and math, lol) to do via computer, so I do those on paper anyway. (y)
Get a scanner, say a Scan Snap.
http://reviews.cnet.com/scanners/fujitsu-scansnap-s1500-deluxe/4505-3136_7-33578925.html
I would write on non-lined paper to make the B&W scanned image nicer. For the Scan Snap (I have 5 of them) you can set the default setting as .pdf For some lined paper, the default settings for B&W are such that the lines don't show.
Then use DropBox to sync them to the IPAD.
For retrieval, etc. you'd have to find a system (software) that makes retrieval easy.

Good Luck.

It's the standard case. Great package, certainly worth $10.
Cool--unless I find another bundle somewhere (which is unlikely), I think that's probably a good option. :) Thanks!
Get a scanner, say a Scan Snap.
http://reviews.cnet.com/scanners/fujitsu-scansnap-s1500-deluxe/4505-3136_7-33578925.html
I would write on non-lined paper to make the B&W scanned image nicer. For the Scan Snap (I have 5 of them) you can set the default setting as .pdf For some lined paper, the default settings for B&W are such that the lines don't show.
Then use DropBox to sync them to the IPAD.
For retrieval, etc. you'd have to find a system (software) that makes retrieval easy.

Good Luck.
I have a scanner already with my printer (which also conveniently has AirPrint). :)

That's true--I would use the case, the wall charger, and maybe the car charger, but the rest of the bundle isn't really necessary...maybe it'd be better to get a Smart Cover and just charge via PC until I find a cheaper wall charger. That keyboard looks nice (and it's only $47 on Amazon)!
The Ipad comes with an AC (wall) charger.

Are you going to keep the paper as paper ?
Not sure ?
Yes, most likely.
The Ipad comes with an AC (wall) charger.
Did you order directly from Apple? The description for the wall charger on Apple's site says "your iPad comes with one; here you can buy another," but I'm not sure if it does from elsewhere.
What about the screen-protector?
Ah, yeah; screen protector as well. (y) I guess it'd just be the earbuds, cloth, and audio splitter that I wouldn't need (since I already have them).
p.s. You ordered online, right? It looks like the bundle isn't available in my store, and I'm not sure the discount is in-store as well even if they did have it.

I'm still doing some research tonight as to who has bundles and discounts to see if anything's better, but thanks for the input so far, everyone! :)

Top Bottom