• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Browser issue iOS 8: selection in messages issue

rellect

Well-known member
#1
When selecting text in messages, it selects the whole block, and not the specific word that I was touching.
Even the points to change the selection works not as expected.

I could confirm that on my local installation, and on few other xenforo sites, but not in here in the xf.com forums - in xf.com it works fine.

IMG_1350.PNG
 

rellect

Well-known member
#3
Are you sure?

And to clarify is this iOS 8 or 8.0.1 or 8.0.2?

EDIT: Potentially related or duplicate of:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/safari-ios-8-crash-when-trying-to-select-text-to-copy.83878/
I was looking for similar bugs and saw this one but I didn't thought it's related as it's about crashing.
The selection in xf.com is definitely better than any other xenforo site that I was testing, though I noticed now that there are still cases which it selects all.

I've tested with 8.0.1. Now upgraded to 8.0.2 and it's the same.
 

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
#4
I don't think this is related to the other bug. You can see it as a guest and we do nothing to touch the selection there.

I think this is probably down to a change in Safari with how it determines what selection to make. If I had to guess, it's selecting the entire <blockquote>.
 

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
#5
With the default Terms and Rules page, I have it either selecting the whole block of text... or I have it selecting whatever is in the upper right corner? (The login link or the admin link.)

That doesn't appear to be happening here.
 

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
#6
I think this is really just down to an iOS change. Whether it was intentional, I'm not sure.

This simplified test case shows that it highlights everything. iOS6 actually works how I would expect (highlighting the text I point at).
 

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
#8
Both of these are internal browser issues that we really have no control over. It relates to "anonymous" block elements being created to contain inline elements. The issues have been reported to Apple and I believe at least one of them was tagged as a duplicate, but their issue tracking is mostly internal so unfortunately we don't have a lot of information.