1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invalid model 'XenForo_Model_User' specified

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by JadedHeart, Oct 28, 2010.

1. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

I have had several problems trying to upgrade, this is where I stand now:

Server Error

Server Error

Invalid model 'XenForo_Model_User' specified
    1. XenForo_Model::create() in /home/content/61/6404261/html/forum/library/XenForo/Visitor.php at line 344
    2. XenForo_Visitor::setup() in /home/content/61/6404261/html/forum/library/XenForo/Install/Controller/Upgrade.php at line 47
    3. XenForo_Install_Controller_Upgrade->_setupSession() in /home/content/61/6404261/html/forum/library/XenForo/Controller.php at line 370
    4. XenForo_Controller->preDispatch() in /home/content/61/6404261/html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php at line 302
    5. XenForo_FrontController->dispatch() in /home/content/61/6404261/html/forum/library/XenForo/FrontController.php at line 132
    6. XenForo_FrontController->run() in /home/content/61/6404261/html/forum/install/index.php at line 17

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This may be a beaten horse, but make sure you uploaded all files correctly, as usually its a file upload / old vs. new file problem with these things.

3. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

I have gone over and over the files and compared the file sizes, that is how I got to where I am. The earlier errors I encountered went away after I found some files that hadn't uploaded properly, but this one I can't seem to make go away. I will look again in the morning after getting some sleep, sometimes walking away for a while helps me see things that I didn't see before.

4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

That error would indicate that the file doesn't contain the expected contents or doesn't exist. I'm not sure what else it could be.

Vladislav Rastrusny likes this.
  5. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

When I was comparing files from the "upload" folder to those on my site, I noticed that some of them were not the same size, so I ran a file compare and they are identical files. How can they be different sizes if they are identical, and is this what may be causing my problem?

EDIT: Okay, I decided to try again and got this:

Error

You have already completed installation. If you wish to reinstall, please delete the file internal_data/install-lock.php.

so I tried to go to the forum and got this:

Fatal error: Class 'XenForo_Route_Prefix' not found in /home/content/61/6404261/html/forum/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Public.php on line 91

Also, what should the permissions be on the php files, on my server they are 0604.

6. Mike

Probably just differences in line break styles (Windows vs Unix).

I don't know your server setup, so that could be an issue. Try 0644.

The system is managing to load some of the classes without a problem (XenForo_Dependencies_Public), so the initial setup is working. I'm really not sure why other files aren't working though.

7. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

We haven't actually started using the forum yet, ours is a new company with a new product that we have only released locally so far, so I think I may just start over from scratch. But I would like to hear from you Mike, would it be better just to delete the whole forum directory, delete the database and start from scratch? If so, should I run the setup from beta 2, or should I wait for the next version? I would like to have the forum operational within a month or so, as we will be starting a video contest on YouTube soon to introduce our product, but we still need to make some introductory videos so we have a little time. What do you suggest I do?

And if I do start over, do I just need to delete the database and forum directory or is there more that I need to do?

8. Mike

It really just looks like a file issue. If you can give FTP access, I can look into it. Otherwise, you could do a fresh upload into another directory -- however, make sure you bring your data/ and internal_data/ directories across (for avatars and attachments at least).

If you really just want to do a fresh install, you can just delete the directory and go through the install process. It can remove the existing data.

9. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

Should I pm you with the ftp info?

EDIT: Okay, I got it to give me the upgrade login page. I logged in and it just takes me to a blank page. Any suggestions? I tried twice and I refreshed the page.

10. Mike

Yes please.

11. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

Did you see the edit I just made to my last post?

12. Mike

Heh no. PM me with FTP (and login details for the upgrade script) please.

JadedHeart likes this.
  13. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

14. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

Thank you Mike, the forum appears to be there now. I guess you figured out what the problem was.

15. Vladislav Rastrusny

Vladislav Rastrusny Active Member

I wonder what was it?

16. Mike

Various files had been uploaded, but they were 0 bytes for some reason. Reuploading them fixed it.

17. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have the same problem when using Filezilla.
    Randomly, when FTPing from PC to server, files are created which are 0 bytes and then Filezilla asks to overwrite them with the actual file.

Very strange.

Vladislav Rastrusny likes this.
  18. Nasr

Nasr Well-Known Member

coreFTP FTW :D

19. Vladislav Rastrusny

Vladislav Rastrusny Active Member

Putty+WinSCP :)

20. JadedHeart

JadedHeart Member

Filezilla is what I used. Mystery solved.