• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Introduction Forums

Onimua

I'm in the process of deciding my initial forum setup when I get ready to launch my site, and one thing in particular I've been playing with is the idea of an introduction forum. The more I consider the idea the more I move from being sure of having one to being on the fence about it, and I'm pretty sure I won't have one in the end when I open my site. However, because such a forum is somewhat popular, I decided to front this question out to other admins/users, and see if those who do have a particularly interesting aspect of why they have one (or don't).

So, what are your thoughts on introduction forums? Use them? Why/why not?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
We just have a "Hello" thread in our off topic forum and anyone posting in it gets a complimentary moustache.

moustache.gif

Peggy

We have an Intros forum on our site. I like the idea of each member having their own thread there, so they can talk about whatever they want to on their thread.

CTXMedia

Formerly CyclingTribe
I have one on CC too (The Welcome Mat) - it helps people get that "first post" out of the way and sets them off posting in other parts of the site. I think it acts as a good motivator, and lots of our regulars pop in and say "Hello" so newbie's aren't left in a ghost town watching the tumbleweed go past their first post.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Shelley

I feel there are better uses for an additional forum than a introductions forum (as this can be done creating a new thread). example, Critique style area under off-topic.

I just find introduction areas a waste of index space when they can post in the Off-topic via creating a new thread.

Peggy

I have one on CC too (The Welcome Mat) - it helps people get that "first post" out of the way and sets them off posting in other parts of the site. I think it acts as a good motivator, and lots of our regulars pop in and say "Hello" so newbie's aren't left in a ghost town watching the tumbleweed go past their first post.

Cheers,
yep yep I agree.

Onimua

Cheers,
Might just end up doing that.

I feel there are better uses for an additional forum than a introductions forum (as this can be done creating a new thread). example, Critique style area under off-topic.

I just find introduction areas a waste of index space when they can post in the Off-topic via creating a new thread.
After looking at my forum index, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. I even tried putting the intro forum as a sub-forum of the off-topic forum, and while that might be a decent solution to to the clutter on the front page, I ended up being bugged by the look of the sub-forum dropdown (I still don't like the look of it).

Looks like I may actually just not have one at all and let the users introduce themselves or perhaps have a welcome thread.

AnthonyCea

Most members don't know how to use the forums, but having one enables moderators to move 'hello threads' to a proper place and it helps so that other forums don't get clogged up with intro threads.

Jo.

We have an intro forum, but I think that works well for us because of the type of forum we have - it makes it easier for members to take that first step of posting, which can be an incredibly difficult thing for someone who needs to feel safe to say anything. I think it might depend on the type of forum you have, but we do find it useful. :)

AnthonyCea

It is a great place for fluff, joking and silliness and making new people comfortable in many cases, a lot of folks come out of the closet in intro forums and meld into the community that way.

Shelley

Might just end up doing that.

After looking at my forum index, I've pretty much come to the same conclusion. I even tried putting the intro forum as a sub-forum of the off-topic forum, and while that might be a decent solution to to the clutter on the front page, I ended up being bugged by the look of the sub-forum dropdown (I still don't like the look of it).

Looks like I may actually just not have one at all and let the users introduce themselves or perhaps have a welcome thread.
Yeah, sub-forums were a temporary solution for me (even at vbulletin) but I soon tire of this and felt index space needed to be saved. I feel strongly more so this time around, and like you, I loathe the subforum dropdown so introductions won't be an option placed/buried in a sub forum.

I'd personally leave introductions at the hands of the person registering and whether they feel the need to create a topic in one of your off-top areas. It seems to work here well when the few people that make them create a welcome/introduction thread.