1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installation Config.php Doesn't Automatically Write

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by James, May 29, 2011.

1. James

James Well-Known Member

When I create the config details in the installation, the next step tells me to download the config file and upload it in library/config.php.

Now, unless I've completely lost the plot, I'm sure it should automatically write the config.php file and proceed to the next step? As it doesn't do this, is this due to the files not being writable or am I missing some function in my PHP installation?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

Reupload all the files James I had something like this when I was upgrading the other day

4. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

That happened to me once, but it was a write issue.

5. James

James Well-Known Member

It happens every time.

@Paul, do you know the CHMOD setting for the library folder? Mine's at 755.

6. Wuebit

Wuebit Well-Known Member

777 as there is a .htaccess if you use apache

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

That sounds right, it's only data and internal_data which need to be 0777.

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

If it can't write the file, then it will tell you to download it. We do not recommend that you explicitly make the library directory writable such that you don't have to download it. If you're using something like suPHP, it will be writable automatically, but straight mod_php usually won't. So, designed and expected behavior here.

James likes this.
  9. James

James Well-Known Member

Does it matter whether I download the file and re-upload or just rename the config.php.default to config.php and enter the information manually? I'd imagine not...

10. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Just rename the one that you have on your computer and enter the info manually.
    I had to do this as well.

11. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

James a question ...did you extract then upload...or did you upload the zip and then unzip via cli? I had a similar issue and it was nearly the same and I also could not change the permissions but I figured out what it was.

12. James

James Well-Known Member

Extracted locally then uploaded

13. EQnoble

ahh well then that wouldn't matter than...what happened to me was I uploaded the zip and extracted it while logged in as root so that when I went to ftp into the actual domain and change the permissions I actually didn't have them (permissions) to change anything and I could not even delete the files as the domain owner. Totally different problems..sorry I was hoping for your sake it was something as simple as my problem which was totally my fault :).

So did you manually configure the config file and if so did that work for you? I am just wondering as this is something I would like to keep in the back of mind just in case.

14. James

James Well-Known Member

I manually put the data in, yeah, and removed the .default. I can't experiment with this because my server is completely broken (that's what I get for going cheap ;)) and I'm looking for alternatives.

15. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I do it manually.

16. EQnoble

Can I ask why is that my dear?

ohh (yahoo media def done.)

17. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

It never wants to write my config file, so I don't even bother, and just do it manually.

James likes this.