Implemented Inconsistent bookmark visibility and/or link locations šŸ¤”

Neutral Singh

For your consideration please...

In forum thread view: A very small bookmark icon with no text > Location: Top corner > right aligned
Suggestion:
Please add the text: "Add Bookmark" alongwith the icon for more visibility and consistency with implementation at MG & RM.
Bug report?: It is taking me 4-5 clicks to register a tap on this icon on my mobile device (Android Oreo, Note 9). Apparently, the bookmark icon itself is so small that it misses my taps altogether. Adding a "Add Bookmark" text may help resolve this issue. At the same time, the share icon, on the left-side of it, is pretty consistent in registering my taps.

In Media Gallery: Bookmarks icon with "Add Bookmark" (Text) > Location: Top corner but Left Aligned?
Suggestion:
Bookmark link location should be right aligned for the sake of consistency.

In Resources: Bookmarks icon with Add Bookmark (Text) > Location: Bottom corner > right aligned?
Suggestion:
For more visibility and consistency, the link should be at the top corner > right aligned just like in threads...

In conclusion, the [Bookmark icon + Text] should be either at top right corner at all locations.

Thank you

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Hmm...yeah, the location doesn't seem ideal. Verdict is still out on the wording, that's how it is on reddit, but there's zero icons whatsoever there. It's pretty obvious with the icon once you tap and untap once or twice to get used to it, hopefully the wording can be ditched. A tooltip for desktop users I'm sure would help. Or maybe only having the wording visible at massive screen sizes, and consolidated to a tooltip as you get smaller and smaller.

I think considering there's no lightbox right now, it makes sense to put it in the top right of the box it's in currently, similar to actual posts, for consistency. That may change if the lighbox comes back.

Looking at it now, the actual tap targets could definitely be increased in size without increasing the entire layout spread, especially with these margins. I'm pretty sure they could be made more tapable without messing up the nice condensed layout.

We've made some changes here. There are roughly two cases with bookmarking:

1. The content being bookmarked is the primary content of the page (a resource or media item)
  2. The content is potentially one of many bookmarkable elements on the page (a post or resource update)

For ones with the primary content, we generally have a set of buttons for taking some actions on the content, often including the ability to watch the content (which is a relatively similar action). Bookmarking now goes there when possible.

For pages with a number of bookmarkable elements, it's a little less obvious and there may need to be some type-specific considerations, but posts and resource updates both use space in the upper right of the attribution/title row to do this.

The comments about touch target size changed a little while back and should generally be resolved.

Top Bottom