1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improve the 'No permission' message with more details

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Stuart Wright, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

The generic 'You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action' message is not very helpful in terms of helping the viewer to understand the problem.
    Why can't they do what they want?
    A member may not be able to post in our classifieds because of several reasons including some by addons.
    E.g. They can't post a new thread if they are in the Ad Blocker usergroup which denies permission to do that.
    Or if they are under 18 or already have a thread in that forum (via addons by Chris D).

This escalates to questions for the moderators from confused members wanting to know why they can't do particular things.

So I would like to see a reason. Or a list of reasons if there are several.
    Perhaps this could derive from the admin permissions analysis tool.

E.g. You can't post in this forum because you are in the Ad Blocker usergroup which has permission to post in the classifieds forum denied. And because your date of birth in your profile is less than 18.

I appreciate this might require careful wording of the explanations for not having permission to do stuff. And might even require new fields & phrases for admin to enter the wording.
    But I think it would overcome a major frustration for users when they are told that they can't do something but not told why.
    W1zzard, Dakis, Mert and 13 others like this.
  2. katsulynx

katsulynx Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see this in XF 2.0. In my opinion this is really important. You can't just throw a NO! into a users face and don't tell them why. They'll ask - sooner or later - and you might not be able to answer, why they get that error. However, the way this currently works (the function that throws the error has no idea of what happened before and I can't think of a way to 'analyze what happened before' and derive the specific reasons from that), it would probably break most addons or their downwards compatibility if they're updated accordingly, so XF 2.0 would likely be the best point to include this.
    Stuart Wright likes this.
  3. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Well-Known Member

Agree fully. Desperately needed