Idle Chatter (https://idlechatter.co.uk)

Gemma

I knew it! Welcome back!
I had no intention of coming back, then Covid-19 and lockdown happened and boredom set in

Been a busy wee period adding, tweaking and tidying things up.

Added a quick navigation menu - not sure but some of the links might change through time (can't really remember what it looked like for XF1)
quicknav.png

Tidied up the featured threads, articles and recipes sections of the site
featured.png article.png recipe.png

Simplified the member tooltip and visitor account menu. Also added a top posters widget to (possibly) encourage posting - everyone likes to be #1, don't they? 🤷‍♀️
simple.png topposterwidget.png

Added the Games Thread Starter addon to the video games section of the forum (thanks @ozzy47)
games.png

And finally, added a Quick Message feature which allows you to send a quick message (I've set it to 300 characters long) to anyone from virtually anywhere on the site without having to leave the page you are on. (thanks @Lawrence)
quickm1.png

Now happy with how it looks and the levels of activity.

Last edited:

Gemma

Sometimes its the little changes that count, made some changes to my articles index page and also similar changes to the featured threads page to give a more consistent look throughout the site. In the 6 months I was away from forums I've forgotten so much (not that I know much!!) including how much fun it is coming up with your own design ideas and watching them come to life.

Articles
articles.png

Featured Threads
featured.png

And I've also given my Recent Posts widget a makeover
statistics.png

DarkGizmo

Signed up, but gotta wait to be approved on top of an email confirmation? Have one or the other, both is kinda overkill TBH.

Gemma

A couple of little updates done over the past few days. I've changed around my quick access menu, instead of having links to my forums I now have links to All Threads, Trending Threads, Live Posts, News Feed and Your Content

Quick Access.png

I've updated my recipe layout so it matched up with my featured threads and articles layouts

recipe1.png recipe2.png

On the All Threads and Trending Threads pages you can now search for topics by prefix

filter.pngfilters2.png

I added a Live Posts section which will auto-refresh with the latest live posts (don't know how useful it is but I just wanted to see if I could make it work)

live.png

And finally, we turn one month old tomorrow and my milestones are filling up quite nicely

history.png

Got a few other things that just need some finishing touches but I'll keep that for another day. Thanks for looking :)

Gemma

VERY well designed site. Absolutely love the dark theme. Very clean
Thank you!!! :)

Some small updates, we've added social groups to the site so members can run their own groups, initially this will just be kept as discussions but some of the more popular group may be allowed their own forum in the future

groups.png

Keeping with the "live" feature I introduced last update, we now have "live threads" which allows for threads to update without requiring the user to refresh or reload the page - this will come in useful for live sporting events which are popular on my site - it was used successfully at the weekend for a grand prix race.

live_thread.png

I've also added a few other live widgets for active threads

hotthreads.png noofposts.png

On a totally unrelated shameless ego-boosting note, I've just noticed I've got 3 of the top 8 listed sites by "First message reaction score" in the Forum Showcase and Critiques forum here - that makes me happy (I'll grab any bit of happiness during these tough times :p) and tells me I may be doing something right, or different, or both :)

Oblivion Knight

On a totally unrelated shameless ego-boosting note, I've just noticed I've got 3 of the top 8 listed sites by "First message reaction score" in the Forum Showcase and Critiques forum here - that makes me happy (I'll grab any bit of happiness during these tough times :p) and tells me I may be doing something right, or different, or both :)
Both - You have a knack for customising and designing forums, and you inspire others with theirs - I know I've played around with a couple of bits in the past having initially seen them at one of your sites. I could only dream of having the start that you've had with Idle Chatter!

Lee

Wonderful website. Love the theme! Especially this part:

1594734562185.png

Is this a mod or did you write it yourself?

I've signed up, will check in when I have chance.

Gemma

Thanks Lee
Wonderful website. Love the theme! Especially this part:

View attachment 230403

Is this a mod or did you write it yourself?

I've signed up, will check in when I have chance.
Its a combination of a few mods added into the PixelExit top bar (Style Properties > Header & Navigation). I've then stripped out what I don't need and styled it accordingly.

Gemma

Some small tweaks here and there over the weekend to our Recipes and Articles sections.

Recipes / Recipes Widget
recipesindex.pngrecipeswidget.png

Articles
articlesindex.png

I've also made some changes to our Recent Posts widget, changed the layout to replicate my thread list. Also, hovering over the date will display a snippet of the last post made. The widget will also auto-update when a new post has been made without the need to refresh the page.
latestpostswidget.png

And I've started tackling the Groups section
group.pnggroupcategories.pnggroupscategory.png

And finally, we passed 2,000 posts today (currently 2,087) which isn't too bad for only being live for 44 days :)

Anatoliy

Changed my home/portal addon today from xenPorta to [TH] Featured Threads and Content

View attachment 227689
Great looking! But how did you configure TH FT&C grid widget to show 3 pix inline? For me it's only this way. Looks cool, but requires 1000px width images. And inline would allow 500px. You know, page speed load and all that jazz.

0.jpg

Gemma

Upgraded to XF 2.2 - with the exception of a few niggles which I'll fix later, I think it is pretty stable.

Updated some of my customized areas to accommodate the new features in XF 2.2

Profiles, with and without banners

profile-banner.png profile-nobanner.png

Member tooltip, with and without banner (no banner sets a default image)

tooltip-banner.pngtooltip-default banner.png

Thread list, testing out the new thread types

threadlist.png

More to come later......