1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know, I should ask this in a phone forum but here goes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jonsidneyb, Jan 14, 2011.

1. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

Every phone I have lost has been for the same reason, water.

There are time where I have to take a call and I am out in the middle of nowhere. I answer the call knowing I have only a little bit of time and the phone is going to soon be toast.

I sometimes have to take a call while in the rain, once it was snow that killed the phone. I am reluctant to get an advanced phone that is going to die when I am in the middle of no where and the rain is coming down. I think if memory serves me that I am on phone #6 due to rain or snow.

I should ask this in a phone forum but I am here at the moment. Solutions?

2. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

What carrier?

Dean likes this.
  3. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

What carrier?

If it is ATT then you could go get a $20 go phone and stick your sim card in it.

4. jonsidneyb

ATT.

If I have to I can do that. I was in hopes to get a web browing capable phone someday. I buy cheap phones right now as I know It will eventually get water damaged.

5. Elizabeth

Try to find a Motorola Tundra by AT&T

6. jonsidneyb

Is it a water proof web browsing phone? :)

7. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

ok, sounds like you already know about cheap phones. :)

Thing is, a go phone requires no 'commitment', as opposed to a 'cheap' phone because you are signing up for a longer contract. It was just an idea

(I've gone through several per year for other reasons). :p

8. Elizabeth

It is the only one mentioned when I googled for them...the only other option is a waterproof case.

Don't know if it is a smart phone.

9. jonsidneyb

Thanks, I will check it out.

Water proof case only helps a little. I have been expecting calls before and answered knowing the phone would be lost. I explain we have to talk fast (business calls) and we talk fast then fizzzzzzzzzzzzzz phone is gone and the SIM goes into the next phone.

10. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

11. jonsidneyb

12. jonsidneyb

People sometimes ask why I have such problems with gear and why I carry some of the stuff that I do. To put it into prospective.

This is a road, it does appear on the map.

[​IMG]

Some people call this a work site.

[​IMG]

This is what it can look like traveling to another work site building.

[​IMG]

Hard to find shelter when the rain sneaks up on you.

13. Elizabeth

IF you could get your sim card to work in an unlocked phone from another carrier that does have a waterproof phone, you might stand a better chance. TMobile has the Motorola Defy with Motionblur, it isn't waterPROOF but is water resistant.
    How long do you have on your AT&T contract because Sprint has an excellent entry to the smartphone/military market: http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/U...-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/MOTOROLA-i1-US-EN

14. jonsidneyb

If other carriers can work out here I would change. Maybe they can now, for the longest time places where I am at where not covered, ATT works where I am at on 1 or 2 bars. I will have to find out what carries work. I used to think the companies shared towers but it seems like they might not.

15. Elizabeth

Try a throwaway from another carrier and see if it works. Worse that will happen is you have to toss the phone. But it will give you a chance to see if someone else's signal will reach out there now.

16. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

My buddy has a waterproof (company) phone by Verizon. he likes to show it off a lot by dropping it in a glass of water when we go out to eat. and then asks one of us to call it. its actually kinda funny calling a cell phone thats underwater. i think his browser is WAP too though

17. Elizabeth

The problem with Verizon is you can't surf the web and make calls at the same time. Also he can't just plop in his old sim card. I think with TMobile he can. Not sure about Sprint.

18. jonsidneyb

I will give that a try.

19. -GR-

-GR- Well-Known Member

Umbrella?

20. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member