how to disable "Mark All Forums Read" confirmation?

User

I poked around in the admin cp for a bit but didn't see any way to disable the confirmation that comes up when one clicks "Mark All Forums Read". Why is there a confirmation in the first place, if I didn't want to make them read I wouldn't click it. So annoying.

A confirmation dialogue was inserted as it's an unrecoverable action.
So if you click it by mistake there is no way to restore the previous state.

There isn't an ACP option for it.

Thanks for the quick reply. Life is unrecoverable as well yet it doesn't question every decision I make. ;) I think that if you ask Windows users what their biggest issue with Vista was then you'll hear that it was UAC asking for confirmation for every little thing they want to do. It would be great if there would be an ACP option for it. Is there any other forum script that asks for confirmation? I know vB doesn't and neither does phpBB. It's unexpected behavior at the very least.

Personally I hate confirmation boxes. In this particular case, it's a good thing. If it gets disabled I guarantee you users would mis-click and then there is no way to fix the problem.

IMHO it's a lot better choice to frustrate a few users once so that they learn to not mis-click as opposed to frustrate thousands of users potentially multiple times per day by having to click the confirmation box. No actual information is lost by marking all forums as read, merely the distinction between old and new info is lost. The impact of a mis-click is arguably negligible since a user has, by default, alert settings which help him or her to keep track of own posts made.

@Brogan, I think the desire to have the confirmation box may have been based on a previous design where the element was close to the usercp/logout button. Thanks for the link nonetheless, I didn't see it even though I did search, user error no doubt. Also, different is OK, better is preferred. ;)

Well, I guess we will just agree to disagree. To me the confirmation is annoying and I feel that it absolves users of any level of personal responsibility for their actions to which I object on principle. Screw up = pay the price = make better choices or pay more attention next time, that's the way it is in my book.

Well, I guess we will just agree to disagree. To me the confirmation is annoying and I feel that it absolves users of any level of personal responsibility for their actions to which I object on principle. Screw up = pay the price = make better choices or pay more attention next time, that's the way it is in my book.
sure, but good software should help to prevent people from making common mistakes. It should make life easier. Darwinism is great and all for some things, not software.

Top Bottom