1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many lines of code are there currently?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Shamil, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Just an interesting fact to know, how many lines of code are there, devs?

hendricius likes this.
  2. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

Is it even possible to count them all?

3. James

James Well-Known Member

You'd have a rough guess if you opened up every file and counted how many lines it extended on each file... but opening all the HTML, CSS, JS, PHP... plus the jQuery library which is big as it is...

4. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

This is going to turn into one of those "how many beans in the jar?" type of games. :D

Jethro likes this.
  5. ragtek

ragtek Guest

loool
    i hope you're jocking...

there are sooo many tools out there to measure loc and other metric software values

6. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

Which is actually kind of amusing, seeing as the amount of lines is actually completely useless and far from being used as a metric to measure anything

erich37, Been Told and Eriksrocks like this.
  7. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Measuring programming progress by lines of code is like measuring aircraft building progress by weight.

erich37, thedude and Jeremy like this.
  8. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I'm not using it as a metric.

9. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Not saying you were, just giving a quote that i thinks applied to this topic :p

10. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Ah right ok :)

11. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

Bill, Is that you?

12. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I wish lol

13. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Well-Known Member

PHP:
    echo $some_var 'true''false';
    vs
    PHP:
    if ($some_var
    {
        echo 
    "true";
    }
    else
    {
        echo 
    "false";
    }
    Why is lines of code important again?

14. Disjunto

The big bosses need something to be able to work out how much work we're doing, no matter how useless that number is

Lucas likes this.
  15. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

If the big bosses do this, they are only contributing to the demise of their software company.

16. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

I like you. :)

17. Disjunto

have you not already realised that developers are not a fan af big bosses? they only hinder development

18. Hauzer

Hauzer Member

Call me crazy but perhaps if we use less lines of text, that could effectively increase fasting loading on a browser? Of course the speed most likely won't be a huge difference, however if a lot of lines are to be shortened, then perhaps we could save seconds?

19. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Whitespace in PHP doesn't really matter. Although more than just whitespace is changed in the examples Andy provided, the speed difference in that example would be close to nothing, if not nothing. But yes, eliminating whitespace in files sent to the browser (HTML, CSS, JavaScript) does save time. It's known as minimization. :)

20. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

It doesn't really work like that. If you test Andy Huang's examples above, there would be no measurable difference in execution time.