1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long does it take: Beta to GOLD?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by John55, Oct 8, 2010.

1. John55

John55 Member

I purchased Xenforo during the presale and now waiting until it goes to a more stable version before transfering from vB3.8.

I know there is no concrete answer. However, for those programmers/coders who have installed Xenforo and seen the amount of bugs/reported bugs, how long do you think until we see a GOLD version?

Again, I know there's no right or wrong answer, but a highly general estimation is appreciated from those who have followed similar beta to GOLD releases of similar software. Your thoughts and educated guesses are appreciated.

2. Hannah_M

Hannah_M Active Member

Depends on the coder. For people like M&K shouldn't take too long. Also depends on what new features they plan to add.
  3. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

It also depends on the state and stabilty of the beta. An ETA is anyone's guess and although your merely asking, we don't want to be pressuring the developers to push/rush out a gold product. Afterall, it's simply a tag and it should only be tagged when both mike and kier are happy enough to ship and package the gold release.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too long.
    John55 likes this.
  4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I predict a month :)
  5. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

As long as it takes.
    Ruone Delacroix and ijeffers like this.
  6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

As long as it takes to make sure this product meets our requirements. as well as it being stable and fully functional
    ijeffers likes this.
  8. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

9. DaveL

DaveL Well-Known Member

I cant see any new features being added between now and gold.
  10. Karelke

Karelke Active Member

Why not? It's a beta, not RC.
  11. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

As Soon As It's Ready™

But probably maybe a few months, or not.
  12. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

I don't see any reason why. It's an early early beta phase and during vBulletin 3, we saw features added constantly.
  13. DaveL

DaveL Well-Known Member

Personal opinion. I can see things being tweaked, but cant imagine any new features.
  14. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Anyone remember vBulletin 3.x with Gamma releases?
  15. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

My 'educated' but rough guess (looking at the state of it now, which is pretty good for a first beta) would be anywhere between one and two months for the RTM to be released. I'd be surprised if it turned out to be less or more than that.
  16. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

Is the correct answer.
  17. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

I think the desire has moved from windows programming to UNIX programming ...... i.e. you know when you're done as there is nothing left to take out, not put in.

vB3 turned into the bloat because of the constant adding, I'd perdict we're going to see one of my favorite sayings manifest here ; Do less better.
  18. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

was going to say the same thing :D

guys just give it time... all good things come with patience!
  19. jonsidneyb

jonsidneyb Well-Known Member

Some of us are dying of heart failure right now.
  20. I can't agree with this more. It'll take them as long as it takes them. I'd rather see them take their time and get everything very polished and working as good as it possibly can than rush out a gold release and have to work on fixing the little things rather than working on the next release.