1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do we create a sideblock?

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Booth, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

How do I go about creating a sideblock on the forum home page? I just want to add a simple block with some graphical links to areas of the site.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

Many thanks Brogan :)

Edit: Actually I really need to know how to add a block to the existing side column on the forum home page - not add a side column to other pages. Any ideas?

4. AWJunkies

AWJunkies Active Member

As I see it they are directly calling templates within the template. Let me give example in forum_list which is the forum index has:

<xen:include template="sidebar_online_users" />

so you can do a similar thing directly to the template you want to show there

<xen:include template="sidebar_YOURS" />

which does work I have tested it but no template type hooks like vB if that is what your looking for.

So basically create a template with your data then add the line of code in the template forum_list for what you want. Presume your just looking for a quick thing and not a mod type deal to add it.

Booth likes this.
  5. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

For the moment yes, I do hope they add something in admin though which allows the addition of custom blocks. Preferably using a wysiwyg editor, and allowing the use of html.

Thanks for pointing out what I should be editing btw :)

6. AWJunkies

AWJunkies Active Member

I am sure they will. Just a matter of time for them to get feedback and add everything.