1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with an IP address

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Saeed, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Hi guys. :)

I am trying to look up some information about an IP address of a particular member on my forum. The IP address is:

The information that I get from various sites is something along the lines of:

inetnum: -
    netname: NO-OPERA-ICE
    descr: Opera Software ASA
    remarks: Please send any reports regarding abuse to abuse@opera.com
    admin-c: OSA34-RIPE
    tech-c: OSA34-RIPE
    mnt-by: OPERA-MNT
    source: RIPE # Filtered

What I was wondering was that perhaps someone may help me with understanding this. Does this mean that the user was using a mobile device or something? If so, is it possible that two members visiting from different countries, even continents, could have the same IP addresses?
  2. ibnesayeed

ibnesayeed Well-Known Member

I suspect that it is being used from a mobile device using OperaMini browser. This browser actually works as a proxy and optimizes the response depending upon the device profile. This saves lots of bandwidth usage and a gives a better and faster experience on small screen mobile phones. Most probably you are getting the IP address of that browser proxy. :)
    Saeed likes this.
  3. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Thank you very much. That was sort of what I was thinking as well, that it is some mobile device using the Opera browser. I didn't know the proxy bit though. (y)

Any idea whether it would be possible for two people from two different countries to have the same IP address?
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

If they are being routed through the same proxy (like Opera's) the front-end IP that you see could be the same.
    Saeed likes this.
  5. Saeed

Saeed Well-Known Member

Thank you Shaun. :)
  6. wrx1

wrx1 Active Member

Should be able to get most everything from there if you ever need to look anything up again.

Saeed likes this.