Help tracking down problem with posting images and formatted text

yoghurtfarmer

After inserting an image using TinyMCE, clicking Preview will show a blank page and never finish loading. Clicking Reply will just toggle the progress bars indefinitely. Switching the text editor to plain text will show a blank page and never finish loading until the image is removed.

In quick reply, clicking Post Reply will show the blank page too.
Clicking More Options will show Error - This action is available via POST only. Please press the back button and try again.

These issues arise regardless if I'm starting a thread, replying, or simply editing a post. It seems to be triggered by images and heavily formatted posts.

It's most definitely a local issue (shared server). Turning off mod_security did not help. Any ideas?

What about other JS things? Opening the alerts popup, liking/unliking a post, using the inline editor? Do they work?

I'd recommend checking what's happening with Firefox and Firebug then. When enabled, we can output some more information to Firebug.

Alternatively, check the error log in the admin CP (under Tools) to see if there's anything there, though I'm not expecting much.

POST add-reply gives "500 Internal Server Error", everything else is as it should be. Nothing in the admin CP error log. I've brought it up with my host and they're looking into it, but they've said mod_security was the only recent change and turning that off didn't work.

Do you know what's in the contents of the 500 ISE reply? You should be able to expand the request info in Firebug and look at the response tab.

Before you do this, turning on debug mode may help. Add this to your config.php:

$config['debug'] = true;

Don't leave that in for long term though.

Typing a single "%" in TinyMCE and then trying to preview/post will trigger it... I suspect certain characters or patterns seems to set something off on the server? :S No clue.

Top Bottom