Header template editing

Akuta

As the end result I want the navigation bar to be right up against the moderation queue/reported items (so logo and vertical space between the two removed).

When removing the following from the header template:
Code:
<xen:include template="logo_block" />
or even everything from the header template, all it does is leave empty space where you'd think the content below would come up to fill. What else needs editing?

I tried at one point to put things like the search box up in the big empty space to the right of my logoi.
Got in a mess! though that was very early in my XF learning curve.
<--- heap big coder now! (not)

I still think the search bar up there would be good. With the sidebar to go under the navbar not encroaching.
I've seen others' screens where their width was not big and it makes a HORRIBLE mess - all the right hand visitor tabs disappear behind Search. That might be poor resolution settings on their part --- but hey users are users and I can't fix all their computers. I have to work with them as they are if I want them to do things in my community.

MOCKUP:

Search up top.webp

It's because of that setting which is used both in the header template (id="logo") and outside in the PAGE_CONTAINER template (id="headerMover").

Well while we're here, what does it take to move the account/inbox/alerts/loginout links independently while still keeping their effects intact? I moved them from the PAGE_CONTAINER but the effects starts to fall apart. I'm guessing some JS needs modifying somewhere?

I have never tried moving the navigation tabs before. Where are you wanting to move them? I will try to make it work.

Jake I would be really interested in this too. Your nodes-as-tabs is so powerful and creative it is frustrating to have so little tabs space.
If all the right hand tabs (visitor area) could move upward into the huge wasted empty space beside the logo, that would be a big boost to design and a powerful partner to nodes-as-tabs.

I did contact various designers as you suggested including the one whose theme includes this positioning. But he just told me to buy his theme which would be crazy just to get that one bit of layout. The others never answered or just said not interested.

I have never tried moving the navigation tabs before. Where are you wanting to move them? I will try to make it work.

I messed around with it a little and moving <xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}"><xen:include template="navigation_visitor_tab" /></xen:if> from PAGE_CONTAINER gets all of the HTML. The drop-down CSS/JS still works (not sure why I didn't think it was before), but re-styling the tabs will be a little difficult as most of the style declarations use a parent (div).navTabs. The sub-navigation that shows up when you're on an account page also gets ripped out of where it should be.

Top Bottom