Add-on Hash tagging?

Sylar

Alright, so I have been thinking about this for a while, and I finally decided it's time to request.

I know how we have the @ tagging feature, so why not go all the way and add a # hashtagging feature? With it could come a whole tab with users who tag what, how many tags, etc. Then, in each post, there could be a fancy tag image at the bottom with the tags. Finally, you could set a maximum amount of tags per post and an error pops up if they are exceeded.

Possible feedback, ideas, +1's always welcome :)

What would happen if I clicked on a hashtag ?
It would open up a page dedicated to that hashtag ?

So #hashtag would direct me to a Tab called say Tags ... and on that page I would be viewing a discussion page called #hashtag ?

That really sounds like a wiki without a front end :)
So I of course I love this idea.
I have "Lite" versions of this idea.

Is this your definition of HashTags ?
http://twitter.pbworks.com/w/page/1779812/Hashtags

Can you document exactly what you are thinking ? Maybe with screenshots.

I think who can and cannot create hashtags would be important.
It would be important to display current hashtags so people could find them and not make duplicates. Excessive hashtags with no follow up discussion would be a major issue.

It implemented well this could be a game changer.

This also is a virtual assault on the need for forums entirely. Essentially a hashtag is a small forum. But it is much more powerful than a forum in that these mini-forums can be formed organically.

I wonder if the xenforo infrastructure would handle this addon. This is essentially making a pages driven site out of a forum site.

Actually using the # as a method of creating a wiki page .... whoa .. I really like that ! This idea clashes / complements / is similar to many ideas I have to improve a xenforo site from just a plain jane forum to something that respects information ... not wasting it.

+Watch
+Like

Q: Do you run an information-oriented site ... or a forum chit chat site ?

Your post is 100% what I was thinking.
Hopefully tomorrow I will have some free time to create screenshots, and do a big huge write-up about what I am thinking of adding (y)

This would be an awesome addon, What comes to mind when I think of this is like on twitter where #xenforo will search twitter for xenforo i'm thinking it could do the same and search the forum for the keyword. So like #Resources or whatever.

Then you could be led to a page where it searches that tag and have a sidebar with the most popular tags/words :)

This would be an awesome addon, What comes to mind when I think of this is like on twitter where #xenforo will search twitter for xenforo i'm thinking it could do the same and search the forum for the keyword. So like #Resources or whatever.

Then you could be led to a page where it searches that tag and have a sidebar with the most popular tags/words :)
Precisely what I was thinking as well :)
Basically, here's how it would go down:
Admin installs the add-on, and then sets the basic permissions(who can tag, etc.). Then, the Admin enables(or disables) certain features like the nav tab, the sidebar block, etc. Now, how it will go down on the user side: There is so much that could be done with this! Anyways, what I am thinking(in order from header down) is a little like this. There will be a navbar tab added entitled "Tags" or something like that. In this, you would have access to things like the most used tags, your tags, etc. Then, in the sidebar, there would be a tab with all of the top 10 tags. Also, I think there could be something in the visitors panel, something like "Your Tags {number}". In the posts, people would have the ability to tag things anywhere in their posts, and when they do tag something in their posts, a cool little tag image will show up in the bottom of the post(sort by the like bar) with the tags and their names. Also, the Admin could set a limit of tag number per post so that it isn't spammed up. Anyways, when a user tags something, they will have their tag pop up in the "Tags" panel in the navbar. Then, the Admin will set permissions for who can create a custom page for their tag, and then they will have the ability to approve or disapprove of the page for the tag. This page created will serve as a small hub to talk about the tag, and also you will be able to add tags associated with it. Also(sorta jumping about now), in the posts, people will have their top used tag displayed(like they are in posts) in their postbit. Then, a tooltip could say "Used {number} times" upon hover.
Um...I believe that's about it for now. If I think of anything else I will add to it :P

Hashtags Major Parts:
- a navbar tab added entitled "Tags"
- hashtags are Pages in the "Tags" Tab.
- In the sidebar, there would be a tab list with all of the top 10 tags.

Admin features:
-could set a limit of tag number per post so that it isn't spammed up.
-set permissions for who can create a custom page for their tag, and then they will have the ability to approve or disapprove of the page for the tag. This page created will serve as a small hub to talk about the tag, and also you will be able to add tags associated with it.

Vague:
- you would have access to things like the most used tags, your tags, etc. (what's that going to look like).
- In the posts, people would have the ability to tag things anywhere in their posts, and when they do tag something in their posts, a cool little tag image will show up in the bottom of the post(sort by the like bar) with the tags and their names.
- when a user tags something, they will have their tag pop up in the "Tags" panel in the navbar. (needs mockup image)

- In the posts, people will have their top used tag displayed (like they are in posts) in their postbit. Then, a tooltip could say "Used {number} times" upon hover. (small detail) (needs mockup image)
- Also, I think there could be something in the visitors panel, something like "Your Tags {number}". (needs mockup image)

===============
Hi Sylar :) I think I understand most of what you are talking about. This idea is good ... how about making screenshots of exactly what you are looking for ? That'll help you figure of the details of what you envision.

Suggestions:
[1] Concentrate on the User features. The Admin features usually best designed after the User features.
[2] You might want to use an example - ideally it would be close to what you want. An interesting example might be content at xenforo.com. Consider how you would design HashTags for xenforo.com content ... and explain what positive and negative impact it could have for xenforo.com.

I'm waiting to understand exactly what you are thinking before I discuss how I see it. I don't want to corrupt your ideas with mine. [eg. the blue idea].

Details I am thinking about ...

Would hashtags only be one word (ie. no spaces) ? What syntax conventions already exist ? I did find things like - http://microformats.org/wiki/twitter-syntax
- or would there be a separator ? ..... what would a good separator be ? +
- examples: #manual #addons+portal #addons+articles #addons+articles+library-by-waindigo+releases

Hi Sylar :) I think I understand most of what you are talking about. This idea is good ... how about making screenshots of exactly what you are looking for ? That'll help you figure of the details of what you envision.

Suggestions:
[1] Concentrate on the User features. The Admin features usually best designed after the User features.
[2] You might want to use an example - ideally it would be close to what you want. An interesting example might be content at xenforo.com. Consider how you would design HashTags for xenforo.com content ... and explain what positive and negative impact it could have for xenforo.com.

I'm waiting to understand exactly what you are thinking before I discuss how I see it. I don't want to corrupt your ideas with mine. [eg. the blue idea].

Details I am thinking about ...

Would hashtags only be one word (ie. no spaces) ? What syntax conventions already exist ? I did find things like - http://microformats.org/wiki/twitter-syntax
- or would there be a separator ? ..... what would a good separator be ? +
- examples: #manual #addons+portal #addons+articles #addons+articles+library-by-waindigo+releases
Well, thanks for the input! :D
[1]Sounds great! I'll brainstorm this week :)
[2]Sounds like a great idea. I'll work on it on my local host this week :)

I was thinking it would be one word, but the separator is actually a great idea! Maybe that could be an admin-defined feature?

I will work on setting things up on my local host this week and seeing about screenshots and whatnot. I'm not the best with the xenforo syntax, so it might take me a bit :P

I was thinking about if it was possible to have Google hash tags somehow displayed on a xenforo site. I didn't think it would work that well or be possible ... but it was worth the thought.

Honestly, I'm not at all familiar with the google hashtags, but I will play around with them.

As for this:
I was thinking about if it was possible to have Google hash tags somehow displayed on a xenforo site. I didn't think it would work that well or be possible ... but it was worth the thought.
I say no on this. The point of this is to have it as an internal feature, not to rely on external websites to support the hash tag infrastructure. Plus, then it's just loosing most of the really cool ideas stated already :P

No dev from me on this, haven't the slightest clue where to start. Anyone got anything to add?

It seems to me... someone could add-on to the [bd] Tag Me... Seems like it has the code for what would be needed. I just wouldn't have a clue where to start with it. I think I like this feature much better than the "tag post" add-on that is out.

It seems to me... someone could add-on to the [bd] Tag Me... Seems like it has the code for what would be needed. I just wouldn't have a clue where to start with it. I think I like this feature much better than the "tag post" add-on that is out.
As do I x3
However, honestly I think it would be better to do a complete "from-scratch" build, mainly due to the fact that there's so much being re-written and whatnot that it would honestly be easier. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom