[OzzModz] Google Adsense tips and visual overview of ad positions

[OzzModz] Google Adsense tips and visual overview of ad positions

Just tried it, works fine for me with "Thread view: Sidebar" as position.
I tested and created New Threads Widget: /admin.php?widgets/add&definition_id=new_threads
Place it on: Thread view: Sidebar
With Display Condition: count($__globals.posts) > 4

Not working though :/.
What would be the right condition?
Thanks!

Any chance we can split "After First, Middle and Before Last Post" and have 3 different codes for 3 locations?
While I intend to use almost-identical responsive ad code, this will give different reports for all 3 spots which can help with optimizations later.

There is no position available that can do that. You would need an add-on for that.
Maybe this one, but I'm not sure. You could ask @Siropu :

Reactions: rdn
Hi,

I just try to find out the best "mix" of ad locations for my forums. As few as possible but still maximizing the revenues.

Best ad positions
These positions should do very well. Please share your results!
  • Container content: Above - This position should work for most forums
  • Container content: Below - A nice one that gives some extra revenue
  • Post: Below message container - This one is also interesting but be careful. It can be intrusive. Therefor I suggest to only show an ad after the first and before the last post. The conditional to accomplish this can be found below in this article.
  • After first unread the last unread post - RobParker reported very good results with this one. To use this position you will need an addon (Ads Manager 2 lite by Siropu).

(Rob Parker said: "...The best position BY FAR is directly after the last unread post. ...")

Does that mean that you use these 4 spots only and no other area?

If you talk about "best revenues", what is actually a good revenue? What is your CTR percentage in your best spots?

Last edited:
I also PM'd Mr. Jinx directly (site wouldnt let me post earlier) but...

Have any of you had an issue using Amazon responsive ads being broken on mobile when viewing the site in portrait? If I refresh in landscape, it works and then I can move back to portrait and it shows up. But as you soon as you refresh in portrait, it shows up broken.

I've turned off any plugins that would interfere with the top of my site, nothing works. I've disabled all ad blockers on my browsers, I'm stumped.

In fact, ALL Amazon banners show up broken no matter where I put them, when viewed in portrait.

Viewing the site on a computer works flawlessly.

1586655442689.png

Last edited:
After first unread post - RobParker reported very good results with this one. To use this position you will need an addon (Ads Manager 2 lite by Siropu).

This can be done without an addon now. Just need to use this code:

Code:
<xf:if is="$__globals.firstUnread.post_id == $post.post_id">
    <div style="margin:3px 0 3px 0;">
    ### your ad code ###
    </div>
</xf:if>

Has anyone turned the "After First, Middle and Before Last Post" option into "After First, Middle and After Last Post" and would care to share? I just played with it for a bit and couldn't get it to display.

Top Bottom