GoodForNothing Classifieds [Paid] [Deleted]

If I understand correctly, there will be 2 cases:

1) Percentage-based Listing Fee

If you are planning to implement a "comission percentage based on the sell price" then I do understand the issue with the "currencies".
In this case the Admin is collecting e.g.: 1,5% of each transaction and therefore the "currency" of the Classified-Listing is relevant.

However, I think this kind of system is quite complicated and will lead to a lot of issues along the road (you need to know if the transaction of physical goods actually happened, tax calculation issues, etc.).
I would suggest to implement such a system only at a later stage of this Addon-development (if at all).

2) Flat-Rate Listing Fee

However, if you implement a "flat fee" (e.g.: 10 EUR for each Classified-Listing), then the Admin just sets his preferred "currency" to for example EUR, as he wants to earn his money in his preferred currency.
In this case the Admin decides that all Listing-Fees have to be paid in EUR.
Whatever currency is being used by the end-user (buyer/seller) at the "Classified Listings" is irrelevant to the Admin in this case and a simple "text field" (drop down selection) showing the Currency is sufficient.

I would suggest to use this "easier system" for the beginning.

-----------------------------

Generally speaking, the "Percentage-based Listing Fee" is a flawed business-model.
Really successful "Classified-websites" are all using a "Fixed Flat Fee" per listing and per "duration/time" of the listing.

It is better to sell "Featured Listings" or some other kind of Advantages like e.g.: a "red colored Title" or some other kind of stuff which will "feature" a certain Listing.
You could also charge for "bumping a listing to the top" (bump it to the first page) of the Classified-List (e.g.: the user pays 5 EUR for an "automatic bump" two times per week or EUR 10 for 4 bumps per week).

There are a lot of ways to make money for the "Admin", but I think the "Percentage-based Listing Fee" is the wrong way to do it.

:)

Last edited:
There is no right or wrong way, just different ways.

But thanks for sharing your wrong opinion.

There is no right or wrong way, just different ways.

agree.

Ebay and Etsy use percentage fees and they're pretty successful.

I guess it is a matter of size.
When Classifieds-websites start small, I think they use a "Flat Fee".
Once these Classifieds-websites become big and established, some of them switch their business-model from a "Flat Fee" towards a "Percentage Fee".

I just think it is hard to start a new Classifieds-website using a "Percentage Fee".

Can you make Classifieds Statistisc widget for Widget Framework? Maybe with a backlink to classifieds area?...

So, if one user from my forum just want to sell some item, and another user see that item on sale and want to buy... it will be so complicated with this payments gateways.
Is it so hard to make an options that Admin of site choose (dollar, euro, phound, drahma, zlot) or write imagined valute (brick, sun, silver, gold, ducats), so buyer can pay to seller without any gateways, internet systems, online magic...

Is it so hard to make an options for name of money be our choice, and that name is just for info. If buyer want to buy, he just send e-mail to seller or create private conversation, and after all of that, seller marked item sold - every that thing wthout any online payment or something else

We can all agree to disagree. Obviously I have bigger plans for this. There are lots of variables working in the backend, lots of nuts and bolts to output what you see. I have made this add-on to work with the commerce system and changing it now and then again changing it to support is something I don't want to do. And also, you guys forgot about flexible pricing for the packages.

Here's a small screenshot of our payment/commerce module:
107.webp

What about currencies?
108.webp

You think you don't have a use for it (now). But that doesn't mean others wont. And I have to accommodate as many users as I possibly can. And again, I have a bigger game in my mind, though I cannot talk about it now.
You guys need to have a little more faith in me. And obviously I'll need time to finish everything. Classifieds is a much bigger project and cannot be done in "a couple of days".
I do think this could be the best classifieds add-on in the entire forum industry and for that I'll need the support from you guys. :)

Our sales listings have around 20–30 custom fields. Some are required, like adding a photo, describing the item’s condition and saying the year it was made.

The problem is, the same form is used for a Wanted advert as is used in a For Sale advert. Someone who’s buyng isn’t going to have photos and may not care about the year. They will need different fields, for example to say how much they’re willing to pay.

So as a feature request, it would be nice if you were forced to select the advert type up front, and then see different fields depending on what type you used.

And on the back end, keep it organized by category the same as it is now, but when you click the field and see the options, or you create a field for the first time, it would have a dropdown for For Sale/Trade/Wanted.

Our sales listings have around 20–30 custom fields. Some are required, like adding a photo, describing the item’s condition and saying the year it was made.

The problem is, the same form is used for a Wanted advert as is used in a For Sale advert. Someone who’s buyng isn’t going to have photos and may not care about the year. They will need different fields, for example to say how much they’re willing to pay.

So as a feature request, it would be nice if you were forced to select the advert type up front, and then see different fields depending on what type you used.

And on the back end, keep it organized by category the same as it is now, but when you click the field and see the options, or you create a field for the first time, it would have a dropdown for For Sale/Trade/Wanted.

@Mr. Goodie2Shoes can the below mentioned "Suggestion" be implemented or is there another way to do this ?

Suggestion:
The Overlay which is showing when you create a new Classified should just show 3 items in the Dropdown saying:

Classifieds Type:
- "For Sale"
- "Trade"
- "Wanted"

And then you select the "Category" (House, Cars, Cats,...) at the top of the "form-page".

Meaning:
when you click the button "Add Classified", then the "Overlay" should show the "Advert Type"-field only.
The "Categories" should be selected at the "Form Page" here:
http://classifieds.gfn.ninja/demo/classifieds/categories/requires-location.3/create-item/

Advantages:
- when implementing this Suggestion, the issue mentioned by @empire can be solved easily /flexibility per "Advert Type"
- no issues with Drop-Down-Field at the "Overlay"
- better management of hierarchies of "Advert Type" / "Categories" / "Subcategories"
- no "repeating" of Categories for each "Advert Type"
- many more....

The current way of selecting the "Categories" (House, Cars, Cats,...) immediately in the "Overlay" will give a rather looooong Drop-Down-Field (providing you have 3 "Main-Categories" like e.g.: "For Sale/Trade/Wanted" and for example 30 "Sub-Categories" for each of those).
This will kill the "Drop-Down-Field" in the "Overlay" (93 Categories to select from) and will also not look that good as the 30 "Categories" (House, Cars, Cats,...) will be the same (repeating) for each of the 3 "Main-Categories".

Last edited:
The most pragmatic way would be that every sold item can be flagged as sold and then automatically changes the "For Sale" indicator (badge) next to the title to "SOLD!" (badge). Maybe the Title is then also modified as strike-through in addition to that.

@Mr. Goodie2Shoes : Have you perceived this? I think it is more important (for the User experience) than the currency debate. By the way I like it how it is. just go ahead with your plans.

Last edited:
Now this looks cool. Kudos!! We're using sooo many add-ons to make our classifieds forums look like "decent" classifieds. This single add-on could be a one-shot better solution :)

We allow all premium members to post classifieds, but having a "featured ad" package will be totally awesome.

I'm going to play with this ASAP. I'm assuming we can easily increase the size of the ad thumbnails? Great work so far!

EDIT: Wow, loving the bump button! One more add-on we don't need! (y)(y)(y)(y)

I've been playing around with this add-on for a couple of days now and it's freaking amazing. Well done (y)

@MrGoodie2Shoes mentioned that he is working on custom currency support (which I've seen some people here ask for, including myself). Beta 7 only supports: USD, EURO, GBP, AUD & CAD.

If you're having problems with adding/modifying advert types, try and disable adblock.

Here are some thoughts on the form itself:

upload_file.webp

1. There are three upload buttons. I think that some forum owners might want to disable the "file upload button" in order to streamline the process. Would it be possible to add an option to disable it?

advert_type.webp

2. Would it be possible to hide "Listing fee, Renewal fee" and add "Free" to the "Package price:" for free packages? I'm using the "flat fee" option above with a pricing of "0,00€". There's probably (?) no need to display the package pricing summary if the package is free.

max_images.webp
3. Would it be a good idea to display the maximum number of allowed images for galleries? This can easily be solved by manually modifying the phrasing. But I thought I should mention it anyway.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to add an option to disable it?
The button will disappear if you set "Can upload attachment" permission to No.

2. Would it be possible to hide "Listing fee, Renewal fee" and add "Free" to the "Package price:" for free packages? I'm using the "flat fee" option above with a pricing of "0,00€". There's probably (?) no need to display the package pricing summary if the package is free.
Yes, makes sense :)

3. Would it be a good idea to display the maximum number of allowed images for galleries? This can easily be solved by manually modifying the phrasing. But I thought I should mention it anyway.
I'll add one right below the "Upload Images" button :D

There currently doesn't seem to be any way of telling when/if another bump will be allowed/available (unless I'm overlooking something). Maybe add a timer or just display another title indicating that the user has to wait? Here's an example:

bump_timer.webp

If this is done, it would be nice if it were in the information sidebar block, maybe put 'Bump in' right under 'Expires in'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom