Getting hit by spam hard :(

Kaiser

Getting hit by spam at the moment :( Banned up to 35 accounts. Looks like there are more to come, joining by the minute.

Page 1:
download.webp

Page 2:
Spam Cleaner Log   Admin CP - AdminBB Webmaster Forum.webp

It will probably reach 4 pages in the next 1 or 2 hours.

Not much you can do other than contact the administrator of that site and ask them to remove the threads/links.

If they're human spammers, as they appear to be, then nothing you can do will make any difference.

The best you can do is Q&A captcha + recaptcha + Stop forum spam addon (or similar) + email verification + considering Cloudflare, really. Still, that combination might help somewhat atleast.
I have every single one of those set believe it or not.

If they're human spammers, as they appear to be, then nothing you can do will make any difference.

Yea.. if you read http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/valium/TQE9TH3S9QD046I7E and the second page: http://www.topix.com/forum/drug/valium/TQE9TH3S9QD046I7E/p2 you will see its them thats joining.

Make your questions harder, that my cut the spam down.

Out of curiosity, can you add multiple questions in xenforo? I never did test to see if xenforo support multiple questions.

Make your questions harder, that my cut the spam down.

Out of curiosity, can you add multiple questions in xenforo? I never did test to see if xenforo support multiple questions.
Yes you can add as much as you want. I have some hard ones set.

Sounds like you have human spammer joining like Brogan said, if you do in fact have hard questions being asked. What type of questions are you using? Are they like this for example?

Ten plus four, minus three equals?

Also, you really shouldn't have to be contacting that site asking to have those links removed. Your forum defence should be able to cope with blocking them, other sites all across the web could do the same thing that site has over time. So that's not really a solution at all!

Answer can be "11 or eleven" on my forums, that's what I use and it stops all automated bots. But I have had the odd human spammer get in, but then I also use Image Captcha with it also and of late StopForumSpam since last week after the plug-in was updated to work correctly with MyBB. Not had a single human spammer since adding it!

Sounds like you could do with a second form of defence really to help block "human spammers" mainly. StopForumSpam is very good at doing that, the best I'd say for using with a forum to deal specifically with - human spammers!

Try making one question and make it a ridiculous one that is answerable but barely. Make the answers just as unpredictable as the question. If you still get registrations I guarantee that they are human.
Untitled.webp

Questions like that are just going to help stop real registrations taking place. If I saw that kind of question with no answer to choose from. Honestly, I'd think WTF is that supposed to mean and leave!

Yes you can add as much as you want. I have some hard ones set.

it seems you can add multiple questions in the admincp but when it comes to the registration form it'll only display one question and answer. I always thought the reg form would display all the questions.

I thought he was trying to see if the registrations were humans or bots. If no more spam registrations come through after changing the registration procedure it was probably a well coded bot. If they do continue they are more than likely human.

What about a question like this.

Man buys 3 apples and 2 bananas from shop, but later gives 1 apple away. How many apples is he left with?

it seems you can add multiple questions in the admincp but when it comes to the registration form it'll only display one question and answer. I always thought the reg form would display all the questions.
I was wondering what you meant in your post...now I get it....that would be kind of cool to have multiple checks used (multiple questions and or other implementations of human verification). I think it doesn't display them I think because then someone could get all your questions, come up with answers and then build a bot based on them.

Top Bottom