GeoIP + GDPR Geoblocking [Deleted]

Sim

Sim submitted a new resource:

GeoIP + GDPR Geoblocking - GeoIP and GDPR Geoblocking using Maxmind's GeoIP2 Precision service

This XenForo 2.0 addon provides GeoIP and GDPR Geoblocking using Maxmind's GeoIP2 Precision service. It also displays the country associated with any IP address visible to administrators throughout the XenForo UI.

Requires a paid subscription to Maxmind's GeoIP2 Precision: Country

When a user registers, after all spam checks are complete - the IP address they are using will be checked against the GeoIP web service to...

Read more about this resource...

This is a nice Add-on though I wonder if it is GDPR compliant:

If you perform the Geo IP check after spam checks have been done, you've already processed personal data (email) and might have even forwarded it to 3rd party services (StopForumSpam, etc.).

Ideally I think the "block" check/action should be done before any personal data (except IP address which is kinda unavoidable) ever reaches your server.

I wonder if it is GDPR compliant

Not intended to be GDPR compliant - indeed, that's kind of the point.

Either way - if someone has registered on your site - then they have by necessity consented to whatever checks you have informed them will be undertaken. Consent comes first, then registration and spam checks occur.

Ideally I think the "block" check/action should be done before any personal data (except IP address which is kinda unavoidable) ever reaches your server.

My original version (about 6 years ago) did the GeoIP checks before the anti-spam checks and it ended up costing me a LOT of money because of spambot attacks! Doing the anti-spam check first is the correct sequence.

Sim updated GeoIP + GDPR Geoblocking with a new update entry:

Re-release

I am changing the structure of the addon_id I use for my addons - so this release is a re-release of the functionality currently available in v2.0.3, but with a new addon_id.

Note that you cannot directly upgrade from v2.0.3 - there are additional manual steps required - please see upgrade instructions below.

If you don't yet have v2.x installed, just install v3.x as you would normally do for any addon. If upgrading from v2.x of the addon, follow the instructions below...

Read the rest of this update entry...

If you just need the country an IP is from, using the Maxmind API service is very expensive. There are several free services out there and also a free geolocation database by Maxmind. Why don't you allow to use those instead? What is the advantage of using the paid API?

If you just need the country an IP is from, using the Maxmind API service is very expensive. There are several free services out there and also a free geolocation database by Maxmind. Why don't you allow to use those instead? What is the advantage of using the paid API?

The paid API is more accurate and more frequently updated than the free data sources.

It's not that expensive - I'm using about 1,200 queries per month (site has 15,000 members and around 500 validated registrations per month) and US$20 gets you 200,000 queries. At 2,000 queries per month - that $20 will last me 100 months, or around 8 years :eek: I'm also using the same account on other sites too, so my actual usage is somewhat higher - but that should give you an indication of what it actually costs. Even at 5,000 queries per month, you're good for over 3 years.

I built this addon to suit my own needs - it's there in case someone else wants to take advantage of it, given the limitations.

If I have time, I may look at adding alternative data sources for IP data (including the more expensive Maxmind Precision Insights service which I'm looking at using!!) - but right now, I'm focused on preparing to migrate my 8 forums to XF2, so that's a lower priority.

Possible to check and block VPN registrations with this?

Not in its current version - however, when I get some time I am planning on expanding functionality to be able to utilise the Maxmind GeoIP2 Precision Insights Service, which does include this functionality:

Anonymizer Type: If an IP address is likely used by an anonymizing service, these outputs will provide information on the probable anonymizer type. The service includes five anonymizer outputs: Anonymous, VPN, Hosting Provider, Public Proxy, and Tor Exit Node.​

Not in its current version - however, when I get some time I am planning on expanding functionality to be able to utilise the Maxmind GeoIP2 Precision Insights Service, which does include this functionality:

Anonymizer Type: If an IP address is likely used by an anonymizing service, these outputs will provide information on the probable anonymizer type. The service includes five anonymizer outputs: Anonymous, VPN, Hosting Provider, Public Proxy, and Tor Exit Node.​
This is something that would be interesing to use.
As you know its quite easy for someone to connect in via a VPN these days - even an aussie based VPN for non aussies.

FYI - this addon has been replaced by a new Geoblock Registration addon which uses the free Maxmind GeoLite2 downloadable database to detect the country an IP address is located in. You can use approved and denied lists to permit or block user registrations - or place them into moderation for manual approval.

Top Bottom