[OzzModz] Game Thread Starter

[OzzModz] Game Thread Starter [Paid] 2.1.8

No permission to buy ($30.00)

Snog

Snog submitted a new resource:

Game Thread Starter for XenForo 2.x - Start threads about games in XenForo 2

Do you run a game review or discussion site? Always copying and pasting information from The Games Database to your new threads? Or, maybe you just want a place on your site to discuss games with friends.

Then this add-on is for you!

The TGDB Thread Starter allows you to enter the game ID or the entire link to the game at at TheGamesDB.net into your new thread, add whatever comments you like and post the new thread. The TGDB Thread Starter will import...

Read more about this resource...

Hey Snog,

One of our customers using DragonByte Mail and this mod has reported an issue that may end up being a compatibility issue.

What I am doing is querying directly from the Thread table, and I am using the node_id column to fetch forum info from the xf_forum table.

My question is: Are threads from this mod posted in a node that is not considered a "forum" (e.g. not found in the xf_forum table?

If so, the coding fault is mine as I'm doing things in a non-standard way in an attempt to make the code compatible with vB, XF1 and XF2, I'm just looking for confirmation or any additional information you may have that can help in tracking this down.

Thanks!

Fillip

No, they are posted in a normal forum/thread. However if you're looking for the game info, it is not in the thread itself. It's displayed above the thread.

You need to query the xf_snog_tgdb_thread table with the thread_id to obtain the game information.

Here's the XF 2 structure...
Code:
public static function getStructure(Structure $structure)
{
   $structure->table = 'xf_snog_tgdb_thread';
   $structure->shortName = 'Snog\Games:Game';
   $structure->contentType = 'game';
   $structure->primaryKey = 'thread_id';
   $structure->columns = [
      'thread_id' => ['type' => self::UINT],
      'game_id' => ['type' => self::UINT, 'default' => 0],
      'game_title' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_platform' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_release' => ['type' => self::UINT, 'default' => 0],
      'game_overview' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_esrb' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_genres' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_players' => ['type' => self::UINT, 'default' => 0],
      'game_coop' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_trailer' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_publisher' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_developer' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_baseUrl' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_fanart' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_boxart' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_boxartthumb' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_screenshot' => ['type' => self::STR, 'default' => ''],
      'game_rating' => ['type' => self::FLOAT, 'default' => 0],
      'game_ratingcount' => ['type' => self::UINT, 'default' => 0],
      'game_storage' => ['type' => self::UINT, 'default' => 0]
   ];

return $structure;
}

The XF 1 version uses the snog_tgdb_thread table and the structure is same.

If you're getting an error, I would need to see the stack trace to establish if it's something that needs to be changed on my end.

Last edited:
No, they are posted in a normal forum/thread. However if you're looking for the game info, it is not in the thread itself. It's displayed above the thread.
Nah I don't need that, the error experienced by the user is that node IDs where your threads are posted don't appear to exist in the xf_forum table, for some reason. If your threads are normal threads (with an additional supporting table like you detailed above) then the issue isn't on your end.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know if anything needs changing on your end, but I strongly doubt it :)

Fillip

Nah I don't need that, the error experienced by the user is that node IDs where your threads are posted don't appear to exist in the xf_forum table, for some reason. If your threads are normal threads (with an additional supporting table like you detailed above) then the issue isn't on your end.

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know if anything needs changing on your end, but I strongly doubt it :)

Fillip
Yes, if there's that kind of a problem I wouldn't even have an idea where to begin because the threads are created with the normal
$creator = $this->service('XF:Thread\Creator', $forum);

And the forum is established with a normal $forum = $this->assertViewableForum($params->node_id ?: $params->node_name, ['DraftThreads|' . \XF::visitor()->user_id]);

I've been visiting the TheGamesDB.net site for the last few weeks, off and on, trying to decide if I will get $25 worth of use from this mod or not.

I've noticed that that site has horrible loading times lately, slow or incomplete page loads, etc.

How does this affect your mod?

I've been visiting the TheGamesDB.net site for the last few weeks, off and on, trying to decide if I will get $25 worth of use from this mod or not.

I've noticed that that site has horrible loading times lately, slow or incomplete page loads, etc.

How does this affect your mod?
It can affect the add-on. Unfortunately I do not have control over their site performance.

Hey,

Going back to what @Rubber Jesus said about TGDB loading times, do I have to fetch the information from them? Can't I just manually input all the information required? e.g, genre, etc.

Hey,

Going back to what @Rubber Jesus said about TGDB loading times, do I have to fetch the information from them? Can't I just manually input all the information required? e.g, genre, etc.
No you can't. The initial information is retrieved from The Games Db site.

Once it's retrieved, you can edit the info.

No you can't. The initial information is retrieved from The Games Db site.

Once it's retrieved, you can edit the info.

So you would have to rely on that site, hopefully they'll upgrade their services and or host then so the speed goes up.

I see you have it on your site. Have you experienced a lot of downtime?

So you would have to rely on that site, hopefully they'll upgrade their services and or host then so the speed goes up.

I see you have it on your site. Have you experienced a lot of downtime?
Yes, that's the purpose of this add-on. To display the game information from that site in a thread and store it in the database.

Since it's on my site mostly for demo purposes, it doesn't get used a lot. But, I've not experienced excessive downtime when I've worked with the add-on. That doesn't mean anything since I'm not working with it 24/7 and have no clue what their uptime stats are.

The games database has changed their API and this add-on will no longer work in it's current state.

I have requested an API key from TGDB and as soon as I receive it, I will begin the process of changing the add-on so it will once again work with TGDB.

Top Bottom