front page blocks. Will width reduction to 180 pixels look ok?

Dean

in memoriam
It seems the blocks on the main page showing staff online, other people online, and my mini-stats are now 250 pixels wide.

Will that block look 'ok' at 180 pixels wide? I am most concerned with the mini-stats. Will the information wrap then cause the height to change? (hope it does that)

By mini-stats you mean the user information (Messages, Likes, Points) displayed at the top; or the Forum Statistics block? The user information wraps to the second line if the text overflows for any reason.

Btw, the sidebar would look way too cramped at 180px.

User_Stats.webp

That is indeed the mini-stats I was referring to. In the picture you have posted it is (about) 250 pixels.

I am asking with regards to my site, not suggesting any changes for xf.com

I think it'd be nice to change the width of the "block" column for adding new banners or features to the sidebar.

Like, for example, what if a client's ad skyscraper is larger or smaller than the width of the column?

I think it'd be nice to change the width of the "block" column for adding new banners or features to the sidebar.

Like, for example, what if a client's ad skyscraper is larger or smaller than the width of the column?
Yes. My question was in relation to ad sizes. :)

And of course what screen resolution to design for. I host ads locally, no external server, so we have full control over what sizes.

Ah... got it. I did a comparison of how the mini-stats would look at different widths. So far, anything below 220 or 230 px doesn't look good. See the comparison of the stats block at 250, 200 and 180px widths below:

At 180px, this alternative styling would look better, though:

View attachment 1834

Any chance on a mock up of a long name in the 180 pix picture? I am thinking it could contain about 14 character before getting truncated or wrapped. Possibly putting the name above could look better and allow for up to 25 (ish) characters in the name.

edit: I am not describing this very well. The format of the last picture listed, but with the name like it is in the picture labeled 180 pix.

Any chance on a mock up of a long name in the 180 pix picture? I am thinking it could contain about 14 character before getting truncated or wrapped. Possibly putting the name above could look better and allow for up to 25 (ish) characters in the name.
Like this: ?

Mini_Stats_Styling_2.webp ... Mini_Stats_Styling_2_2.webp

You can have an <if> conditional in your template that checks for the username length (cannot confirm). So if the username is longer than, say 12 characters,... then 'Signed in as <username>' text would be replaced by just '<username>', preventing long usernames from breaking the layout.

Top Bottom