XF 2.2 Fresh install 2.2.1, no icons/images

dan n

Fresh install of 2.2.1
No icons/images appear in the acp or on front-end.
I'm assuming a permissions issue on a folder or a faulty extraction/upload. Files were extracted locally and uploaded by ftp.
Any ideas?

I also noticed that data and internal_data folders are back to 755. Is that expected? or do they need to be 777 permanently?
They were set to 777 for the install as requested in the documentation https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/install-upgrade/#3-installing

Thanks in advance

Solution
I've checked the licensed URL and the front end looks ok (though the forum is closed so I can't really browse it). Some of the arrows come from the same font file as those icons.

At a guess, either some files weren't uploaded correctly or their encodings (binary/text) were changed during the upload process and that made the FontAwesome files invalid. Running the file health check should help confirm that.

If that comes up ok, you may need to check your browser's developer console (in their dev tools) to see if it gives any further details on the error.
deleted the ftp install and the associated db.
Uploaded the xenforo_2.2.1_x_x_full.zip via CPanel, unzipped on server and proceeded with install. New db.
Same result. No icons/images.
With this install, the permissions on data and internal_data folders remain at 777.

I've checked the licensed URL and the front end looks ok (though the forum is closed so I can't really browse it). Some of the arrows come from the same font file as those icons.

At a guess, either some files weren't uploaded correctly or their encodings (binary/text) were changed during the upload process and that made the FontAwesome files invalid. Running the file health check should help confirm that.

If that comes up ok, you may need to check your browser's developer console (in their dev tools) to see if it gives any further details on the error.

Solution
thanks for your reply.
File health check reports no problems...without the checkbox icon/image.
The Xenforo demo health check shows 5,404 files. My install shows 4,901.
Is 4,901 the correct number for a fresh install?
1606397248799.webp

mcatze, thanks.
Brogan, it's still an issue.

Brave's dev tool console provides the following:
1606409261753.webp

progress...now how to resolve?
I have since re-installed after reloading using Filezilla and forced binary mode. <same result>
I have used CPanel to upload the font files in FA folder. <same result>

I can only suggest that this is something that might be specific to your end, as I have tried Chrome, Edge and Firefox without issues in any of them.

I notice the logo image doesn't even appear to load in your Brave screenshot. That's just a basic PNG file and could potentially be related.

Resolved. Thank you all for providing leads and input.

Agreed it was something at my end. The Xenforo software was not the issue.
If someone else encounters this...
My initial ftp upload used automatic settings (text/binary). Whether that was the specific cause or it is some other tooling issue (ftp, browser) or communications (upload) issue, I'll never know 100%.
The final install had ftp set to "binary" for the transfer. And this one works.

Brave browser and Edge were both used during the first install and they both lacked the images. I did not clear browser history and that probably made my issue last longer.
If you encounter this issue, clear your browser history between validation attempts to force reload from server.
When Brogan suggested it was fixed; I launched FIrefox and it showed up fine.
I then cleared browser history in both Brave and Edge and the site now appears fine on those browsers as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom