[ForumApps] Native Mobile Apps for XenForo [Deleted]

I know about how aggressively Google is pushing progressive apps read this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PWA might be good 2 years from now but it's not a viable solution right now.

I know about how aggressively Google is pushing progressive apps...
...and Apple is aggressively pushing app services and customers off their app store.
PWA might be good 2 years from now but it's not a viable solution right now.
When Safari service workers hit live, PWAs will be the only solution, except for those who can afford to develop their own apps.

...and Apple is aggressively pushing app services and customers off their app store.

When Safari service workers hit live, PWAs will be the only solution, except for those who can afford to develop their own apps.
Saying that it will be the *only* solution is a bit of an exaggeration. We will see how this rolls out.

A bit of an exaggeration how? There are native apps, progressive web apps, and what? Apple 1. implemented push notifications on macOS (top-priority PWA feature for iOS), 2. started developing service workers for PWAs, and as you quoted set a deadline to take down app services.
Read the entire article I posted. App had push notifications on MacOS since OSX Lion. I guess that was 4-5 years ago and I've only now started seeing major sites adopting it. PWA may be way to go but in 2 years time the needles aren't shifting.

Read the entire article I posted. App had push notifications on MacOS since OSX Lion. I guess that was 4-5 years ago and I've only now started seeing major sites adopting it. PWA may be way to go but in 2 years time the needles aren't shifting.
Read it in it's entirety yourself. iOS had push notifications since 2009 (8 years ago), and macOS had push notifications since Mavericks, you are thinking of local (not push) notifications. There are native apps and PWAs which are coming soon to iOS, there is nothing else.

Will affected customers go 2 years without a mobile presence? That is an exaggeration.

Read it in it's entirety yourself. iOS had push notifications since 2009 (8 years ago), and macOS had push notifications since Mavericks, you are thinking of local (not push) notifications. There are native apps and PWAs which are coming soon to iOS, there is nothing else.

Will affected customers go 2 years without a mobile presence? That is an exaggeration.
The thing is that they won't be affected, stop scaring people unnecessarily. :P

@Aayush

Hey there, perhaps I missed it but as you mentioned you were focused on XF 2 (and the new partially webview enabled app) I am curious what plans you have for XF 2. I'm actually thinking of making an early jump as soon as in the next few weeks so a mobile app availability around that time frame (even in beta form) would be ideal.

Let me know, don't mind being a guinea pig for this one too.

Thanks.

We initially wanted it to be out this Monday after beta testing but we haven’t achieved feature parity with the existing app yet and we don’t feel it is ready to be released yet.

We initially wanted it to be out this Monday after beta testing but we haven’t achieved feature parity with the existing app yet and we don’t feel it is ready to be released yet.

Thanks for the quick update. I assume this implies you're 'close' i.e. few weeks away at most?

Interesting news... (update)
4.2.6 Apps created from a commercialized template or app generation service will be rejected unless they are submitted directly by the provider of the app’s content. These services should not submit apps on behalf of their clients and should offer tools that let their clients create customized, innovative apps that provide unique customer experiences.

Another acceptable option for template providers is to create a single binary to host all client content in an aggregated or “picker” model, for example as a restaurant finder app with separate customized entries or pages for each client restaurant, or as an event app with separate entries for each client event.
Essentially they are saying give your customers the source code and make them do the publishing work, or build a shared app like TT. I don't know what this has to do with spam, but it's clear they are deliberately pushing app services off the store (why...?).

Instead, Apple wants every app on the App Store to be published by the business or organization behind the app. (This is something that’s been suggested before). That means your local pizza shop, your church, your gym, etc. needs to have reviewed the App Store documentation and licensing agreement themselves, and more actively participate in the app publishing process.

Apple in early 2018 will waive the $99 developer fee for all government and nonprofits starting in the U.S. to make this transition easier.

This is a relief. ForumApps will continue to function as usual without any issues :)

Thanks for sharing the link.

Interesting news... (update)

Essentially they are saying give your customers the source code and make them do the publishing work, or build a shared app like TT. I don't know what this has to do with spam, but it's clear they are deliberately pushing app services off the store (why...?).
This is opposite of what they are saying. Looks like @turnkeymobileapps is twisting the words and trying to confuse people into believing something that isn't true.

The changes to the policy allow companies like ChowNow to operate — but will require a little more work on its part. Namely, it will have to have create accounts in the App Store for each of its clients.
Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lled-thousands-of-apps-from-small-businesses/

People using ForumApps are supposed to use their own developer accounts as usual and we will continue to help them out with the app submission process. So essentially nothing changes for existing and new customers! :)

is it expected that:
  1. is not possible to "pinch to zoom" on posted images through the app?
  2. is not possible to choose prefixes during the thread creation?
  3. is not possible to choose existing tags as in the browser?
  4. there's no search feature
p.s. I'm trying the app with on RPNation.

is it expected that:
  1. is not possible to "pinch to zoom" on posted images through the app?
  2. is not possible to choose prefixes during the thread creation?
  3. is not possible to choose existing tags as in the browser?
  4. there's no search feature
p.s. I'm trying the app with on RPNation.
It's expected right now.

Top Bottom