Forum / What´s New / it shows: "No results found."

erich37

when I click onto "Forum / What´s New" at my website, it does not show anything.

It says "No results found." , although there are a few threads and posts already.

Is there something wrong at my settings or is this normal when there are not that many threads yet ?

If you have read all of the posts then there won't be anything new to display.

Get someone else to post and then click on it.

Hey Blandt,

I could not find any Forum-permissions which lets "not logged-in" visitors view/not view the "What´s New" section of the Forum.
I have all settings as they come shipped as per default.......

What time was the last post made?
I believe there is a time limit (not sure what) as browsing here as a guest only shows threads back to this morning.

Make a new post and I'll check.

I just went to a new XenForo site. First time there, I'm not logged in.
Clicked on what's new?

I got:
No results found.

Wow, that's quite the bad advertising for the site ?
I guess not much happens here.

For not logged in users, a "What's New" query should *NEVER* be "No results found".
This should be fixed.

New for not logged in users should be "list forum posts from most recent, backwards"

well, theposts in "What´s New" are disappearing too fast.

This is fine at a page like Xenforo with a lot of users and posts, but starting a Forum from Scratch this does not help.
There should be an option to set a time as for how long posts are showing as being "New".

I just went to a new XenForo site. First time there, I'm not logged in.
Clicked on what's new?

I got:
No results found.

Wow, that's quite the bad advertising for the site ?
I guess not much happens here.

For not logged in users, a "What's New" query should *NEVER* be "No results found".
This should be fixed.

New for not logged in users should be "list forum posts from most recent, backwards"
General admin comment from me: Ummm, that would depend on how the admin want to set things up. Some people never join a site if they can read the content too easily.

In addition every 'whats new' in a database search and with enough people doing that the load will increase.

well, theposts in "What´s New" are disappearing too fast.

This is fine at a page like Xenforo with a lot of users and posts, but starting a Forum from Scratch this does not help.
There should be an option to set a time as for how long posts are showing as being "New".
I got your request to move this, but I really do think it would be better to try to figure out what is happening first. Then if you can get something specific pinned down, and the wording easy to understand, then make a separate suggestion. Suggestions really should be easy to read and understand.

I believe there may be a few time limits. One of them is the database timeout limit where posts older than 28 days (the shipped default last I checked) are marked as read, regardless if they have been read or not. I believe it would be under: admincp -> options -> options somewhere.

I can log in to my test account for you and find the exact place if you like.

What's New is set at 3 days/72 hours.

if you want to change it then you need to edit library/XenForo/controllerpublic/findnew.php
Look around line 102 for:
PHP:
if ($days < 1)
   {
    $days = 3;
   }

If you want it be set to 5 days for example, change it to:
PHP:
if ($days < 1)
   {
    $days = 5;
   }

It is possible that this might be an ACP option in the future :)

is this build into XF Beta5 now ?
I mean to change the time of how long posts appear in "What´s New" ?

The current version is RC1.

Threads stay in What's New until you read them. They will persist until you read them.

If a thread remains unread for longer than 30 days then it will be automatically removed from the list. You can change the expiration time if you want:

Admin CP -> Home -> Options -> Threads, Discussions and Conversations -> Read Marking Data Lifetime (Days)

Top Bottom