Forum Banter (https://forumbanter.com)

Gemma

Well I didn't stay away very long :rolleyes::X3::giggle:

I was bored on Sunday, the weather wasn't great and there was nothing on TV so I decided to build a new site - https://forumbanter.com

Forum Banter will aim to be a general chat site with a leaning toward movies, tv shows and video games.

It has some similarities to my old XF1 site General Chatter in that I'm using similar colours, the UI.X 2 Dark theme (UI.X is also installed but not edited yet) and some add-ons. Along with the TV Threads Starter and Movie Threads Starter addons by @Snog, I've added Reactions, Bookmarks and Trending by @ThemeHouse and changed some of the theme layout (UI.X Dark) to suit my own tastes - I'm sure I'll try and replicate some of my General Chatter layouts when I get time (which is at a premium just now) and I'll add some more add-ons as they become available but things will be a lot simpler this time and I'm not planning on being the full-time admin on the site.

Thanks for having a look. Feedback and criticisms are always welcome.

Last edited:

Brad P

Well I didn't stay away very long :rolleyes::X3::giggle:

I was bored on Sunday, the weather wasn't great and there was nothing on TV so I decided to build a new site - https://forumbanter.com

Forum Banter will aim to be a general chat site with a leaning toward movies, tv shows and video games.

It has some similarities to my old XF1 site General Chatter in that I'm using similar colours, the UI.X 2 Dark theme (UI.X is also installed but not edited yet) and some add-ons. Along with the TV Threads Starter and Movie Threads Starter addons by @Snog, I've added Reactions, Bookmarks and Trending by @ThemeHouse and changed some of the theme layout (UI.X Dark) to suit my own tastes - I'm sure I'll try and replicate some of my General Chatter layouts when I get time (which is at a premium just now) and I'll add some more add-ons as they become available but things will be a lot simpler this time and I'm not planning on being the full-time admin on the site.

Thanks for having a look. Feedback and criticisms are always welcome.

View attachment 173250View attachment 173251View attachment 173253
Ha i had a feeling ;) good to see you are back site looks great as always x

Mr Lucky

Has a lot of potential, but I would simplify it. Maybe get a useability report done because on first glance it all seems a bit overwhelming the way the different colours and dark background hit you.

I am a bit lost looking at the navigation. e.g. what does Trending mean?

Alien

So happy to see you return, its a great new start!

I will continue to check the site out! You always give things a unique look.

Gemma

I've realised I'm going to have some problems re-creating some of my customiziations in XF2 but I'll keep plugging away and reading up on articles until I understand the different syntax better.

I did play around with Custom Thread Fields tonight. I like!! It is something I can use as a Recipe Book until @Bob has a few of his add-ons available for XF2 :)

Recipe_-_Chicken_Salad_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-13_20.50.21.png

And I've added Trophies to the postbit and did a little customizing :)

General_Chatter_Members_Drop-in_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-13_18.45.30.png

Maybe get a useability report done because on first glance it all seems a bit overwhelming the way the different colours and dark background hit you.
That's just how I tend to design my forums, I like to add some colour otherwise I don't find the look of a forum (any forum) particularly appealing. It just looks like a bunch of boxes and blocks with a few different tones of one colour - I guess everyone has their own take on how forums should look and function though. And I think dark themes present things better (I do also have a light theme installed but I've not finished customizing it yet and, yes, it has less colour :))

"Trending" is just something we are trying out. I have a Themehouse subscription and I'm looking at some of their add-ons. As Jake says above it is kinda basic but it can help promote content and you can see what's popular based on replies, views or replies + views per minute.

So happy to see you return, its a great new start!

I will continue to check the site out! You always give things a unique look.
Thank you Jason :)

l3ta

Super-kewl, Gemma! I love the way you deploy the colours. I used to visit your other site just to see what new things you've done and find some inspiration. Good to see that your previous members are joining. I personally find having a forum very addictive and also love to decorate it. Enjoy it just because :)

CoZmicShReddeR

@Gemma The site looks great! Didn't think you'd stay away too long!:p I've had my fedups and rebirth moments over the years!

I like looking at your stuff and seeing if there's anything I need to spice up on my site! ;)

Gemma

Thanks @l3ta and @CoZmicShReddeR. It's much appreciated :)

I'm not sure if we are going to have a portal or not on this site, we'll wait and see what options become available. In the meantime, I've had a play around with the demo portal that is available on here (it works surprisingly well). Maybe one day the xenForo staff will develop this into a fully functional, official addon :)

Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-15_19.46.44.png

CoZmicShReddeR

Thanks @l3ta and @CoZmicShReddeR. It's much appreciated :)

I'm not sure if we are going to have a portal or not on this site, we'll wait and see what options become available. In the meantime, I've had a play around with the demo portal that is available on here (it works surprisingly well). Maybe one day the xenForo staff will develop this into a fully functional, official addon :)

View attachment 173468
Yeah with the new Widget system for XF2 you don't need anything else!

Gemma

And I finally managed to suss out how to add my node icons to the titlebar in forum view (only took me a week!). The titlebar now shows the node icon and category colour for each section.

AFTER_HOURS_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-15_21.12.24.pngAT_THE_MOVIES_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-15_21.13.04.pngSITE_ANNOUNCEMENTS_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-15_21.13.35.png

Loved this part of my General Chatter site so I'm pleased I was (finally) able to re-produce it :)

And as a bonus, the titlebar in the thread view is also matching for each section

Drama_-_Occupied_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-15_21.21.09.pngGeneral_Chatter_Members_Drop-in_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-15_21.22.14.pngRecipe_-_Stuffed_Jacket_Potatoes_Forum_Banter_-_2018-04-15_21.21.43.png

Last edited:

Gemma

@Gemma funny thing is that we are supposed to handle this in the Nodes add-on. Did you use this by chance or did you hardcode it?
Use the Nodes add-on to style the titlebar in forum_view and thread_view? I used the add-on to style the nodes and hardcoded the areas seen in the images above.

Gemma

Been experimenting a little more with custom thread fields. Come up with this for my video game database as an alternative to the Game Thread Starter add-on which at times on XF1 gave me problems connecting to the gamesdb site.

Untitled-1.png

I want to have game listings but also reviews and tips & guides so I've set the forum up with 3 prefixes - Game Listing, Games Reviews and Tips & Guides and using the custom thread fields information can be added about platform, game genre, release date, PEGI/ERSB ratings etc and the thread author can also add ratings for graphics, difficulty, gameplay etc - hope future updates to xenForo will allow anyone to rate.

Untitled-2.png Untitled-3.png

Still a work in progress but a decent first draft (with limited amounts of caffeine)

Gemma

One other small change to profiles, it is about the only other thing I can think of just now, sees the text in tabs replaced by icons (in this case Material Design Icons).

Untitled-2.png

When my brain decides to function again I'm sure I'll think of something else.

Also changed how my poll display in threads and also the widget. Could have been the style but before they were taking up too much space (padding)

(1)_Forum_Banter_-_2018-05-13_19.38.43.png (1)_Poll_-_National_Lottery_Forum_Banter_-_2018-05-13_19.37.58.png

Akshaj

Wow! Really appealing! how did you add the tiles like style to the forum? Yours like a dream community forum to me... btw I am a digital artist, if you need help in any visuals to do lemme know I would be glad to be part of forum banter..

Cheers!