[TAC] Fool Bot Honey Pot

[TAC] Fool Bot Honey Pot [Paid] 3.0.32

No permission to buy ($29.00)
Okay, so stable! stay that way damned it .... trying to get this to be my last post on this thread for a while:

Okay, I'm stopping with fbhp updates for a while now.

It's stable, works and picks up the new wave of js enabled bots that bypass the core honeypots, bypass the reg timer and don't get detected by APIs..... my job here is once again done (hopefully the core wont copy again).

Tenants:2 SpamBots:0

If you find a bug, or see a bot get through, let me know, send me the fingerprint and I'll update it.... other than that, I don't believe it needs anymore work.

View attachment 149951 View attachment 149952View attachment 149953View attachment 149954

Suggesstion: In the log ( /admin.php?fbhplogs/ ) please add filter drop-down values for both 'Registration Allowed' and 'Registration Blocked'.

Interesting behaviour ...

Code:
No Bot Triggers Found
FoolBotHoneyPot: Detected As Human - Registration Allowed
Tuesday at 02:01 : 49.35.15.86:41486
Username: Ams khan
Email: Amskhan007@gmail.com
Host: 49.35.15.86
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 7.0; Moto G (4) Build/NPJ25.93-14) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/56.0.2924.87 Mobile Safari/537.36
Time taken to register: 18 (seconds)
JavaScript Enabled Browser: TRUE
Core Classical Honeypots: 0
FBHP Classical Honeypots: 0
Basic Proxy Detection: Possibly Forged IP Address, ipAddress (49.35.15.86) == ReverseDNS (49.35.15.86)
Browser Plugins Detected: None

Hidden Fields Modifed,
FoolBotHoneyPot: Detected As A Bot - Registration Blocked
Tuesday at 02:00 : 49.35.15.86:41486
Username: Amskhan007
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 7.0; Moto G (4) Build/NPJ25.93-14) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/56.0.2924.87 Mobile Safari/537.36
Time taken to register: 84 (seconds)
FBHP Classical Honeypots: 1
Basic Proxy Detection: Possibly Forged IP Address, ipAddress (49.35.15.86) == ReverseDNS (49.35.15.86)

... spammer used an automated tool, which was picked-up and failed. Then one min later, registered manually (or bypassed FPHB), and successfully registered.

It would be very useful to have a function to pull all fingerprints from users listed in the spam cleaner log, so I can easily forward this data to you. We are still getting pounded by spammers. But getting the data to you is tedious.

Interesting behaviour ...

Code:
No Bot Triggers Found
FoolBotHoneyPot: Detected As Human - Registration Allowed
Tuesday at 02:01 : 49.35.15.86:41486
Username: Ams khan
Time taken to register: 18 (seconds)
FBHP Classical Honeypots: 0

Hidden Fields Modifed,
FoolBotHoneyPot: Detected As A Bot - Registration Blocked
Tuesday at 02:00 : 49.35.15.86:41486
Username: Amskhan007
Time taken to register: 84 (seconds)
FBHP Classical Honeypots: 1

... spammer used an automated tool, which was picked-up and failed. Then one min later, registered manually (or bypassed FPHB), and successfully registered.

Can I see the fingerprint for this one

4 possibilities

1) its a human tampering with the fields (someone nosy, looking at the markup and wondering what the hidden fields do)
2) it a bloody bot, field trial and error (why it only got picked up by one hp on 1st attempt is worrying ... this might be a hp that I should duplicate to make sure they get locked out on 1st attempt)
3) its a user using a pw logger that we haven't picked up on yet
4) semi automation that was turned off on re-attempting
- the fact that they possibly forged their IP address is suspicious
- I wouldn't expect browser plugins on mobiles/Android, so this does not point either way
- they haven't changed their IP on reattempting (or even their email), bots usually do change this to avoid getting re-detected.

It's an Indian ip address (although possibly forged), I'm suspecting a form filler / semi automation on a mobile (cheap posting, real human with tools that make the job quick)

I should know more with the fingerprint.

Last edited:
Ah.... thats much nicer when it flashes and tells you the exact type of bot fbhp detects, I'm happy with that. Thanks bots for stepping up your game, I'm using your tools and power against you're selves :)

It's interesting that UBot manages to fake browser plugins, maybe the browser they are automating actually has plugins, which seems a bit heavy (I would usually choose a much lighter browser).

Still, you can see that even UBot is now bypassing all core mechanisms
  • Bypasses the core reg timer (200 seconds, these bots are definately slowing on purpose)
  • Bypasses the core honeypots
- Obviously, it's also js enabled

Gets caught by fbhp
  • From friging direct detection! Detection doesn't get better than that
  • fbhp honeypots
  • a general browser based bot detection

upload_2017-3-25_20-31-4.webp

Hmmm, there's some very interesting fingerprint data from this ubot log

Last edited:
v3.0.23.
Shouldn't the bottom 2 entries not be displayed, since they should have already been removed?
Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 07.55.45.webp

It removes them when new bots try to register
There's not point in creating overhead from using crons job to clear these accounts up at exactly the right second/minute

- So "will be removed at" is not a strict time, but usually that time or 5-10 minutes later (depending on the frequency of bots)
-- the next time a bot gets added to that list, those ones that have expired will be pushed off, so the bots do the overhead / work, users don't, and there's no cron job overhead

It possibly implies no bots have recently attempted (lucky you)

Are they really the only bots in your cache??? Usually people have 30 - 100

Last edited:
We get 1 or 2 support tickets a week for false positives for password managers filling in the hidden fields.

I've already added an option to add password managers to avoid, but it's not that intuitive.

I'll add a method to clear hp passwords next version via javascript. The classical honeypots are less important than they used to be, so they're not that important, avoiding false positives it far more critical (fbhp has many other methods than classical honey pots)

This means, js enabled bots will get around the classical honey pots... BUT THEY WERE ANYWAY, that is why I've re-released this plugin with many other methods
The non js enabled bots will still get caught

and... it will avoid password managers without the need of admins having to do anything to the options

Last edited:
tenants updated FoolBotHoneyPot Bot Killer: Spam Combat with a new update entry:

Added an option to avoid all Password Managers

This option will clear all Hidden Password and Username fields using javasript before form submission. This means all bots that are JS enabled will never get detected by the classical FBHP honey pots (but may get detected by other FBHP mechanisms, THERE ARE MANY). Ticking this option will ensure password managers are never caught by FBHP classical honeypots

-- This option is switched off by default in the options area of FBHP
-- This was in the original FBHP, it was removed since the core coppied the old classical honeypot methods but missed this out (did it poorly and missed many other fbhp things out too). Hence, the core will always catch password managers (FBHP avoided them in the past, and can avoid them again by just ticking this option)

If you still find the core catches password managers
1) report this to xenforo (it is a xenforo bug that has been in xenforo for some time)
2) let me know, I should be able to fix their issue in fbhp too

Read the rest of this update entry...

Last edited:
There may be a bug with this. Can it be that it also clears the real password field? My users are no longer getting through the registration as they are getting the invalid password error.

There may be a bug with this. Can it be that it also clears the real password field? My users are no longer getting through the registration as they are getting the invalid password error.
Nervously, just tested my site and registration is working fine.
I updated to the last version ~24 hrs ago.

Top Bottom