First Post Edit Time Limit [Deleted]

There is a permission somewhere on your system that is stopping the edit.
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/first-post-edit-time-limit.86445/#post-1033744
Thanks but as I said
@Snog,
When analyzing permissions the 'Final Value' for both 'time' permissions always matched what I expected, even for users with multiple usergroups, but users could not edit the first post.
So the system sees the permissions as correct: for all users and nodes tested it shows the user as time-limited for general editing, but unlimited for first-post editing.

Thanks but as I said

So the system sees the permissions as correct: for all users and nodes tested it shows the user as time-limited for general editing, but unlimited for first-post editing.
Are you using 'Analyze Permissions' or 'Test Permissions'?

For every user group the member belongs to, is 'Edit post by self' set to 'Allow' and not 'Never'?

And just to be sure it's not a template problem, have you tried it with the default XF style?

If you would like me to have a look, I'd be happy to check what's going on. Just send me a temporary admin username and password along with a link to your site by PC.

Last edited:
Just to be 100% certain it is still working I upgraded my development server to XF 1.5.14 (it was 1.5.12) and it still works.

And after reviewing the code (it's been at least 2 years since I looked at it), it can't be a template problem (there are no templates for this add-on). There has to be a permission problem or another add-on interfering with it.

Last edited:
@Snog .. this doesn't seem to work for me. I think I've set the permissions correctly but no matter what I do, the Edit link doesn't appear on the first post for a general registered user. Can you take a look at what I might be missing here, please? I will pm you the temporary admin credentials.

@Snog .. this doesn't seem to work for me. I think I've set the permissions correctly but no matter what I do, the Edit link doesn't appear on the first post for a general registered user. Can you take a look at what I might be missing here, please? I will pm you the temporary admin credentials.

It is clearly working on your site. Note the "Edit" at the bottom of the test post. I set the registered USERGROUP as having a 5 minute edit time limit for posts, and you already have the forum set as an unlimited first post edit time limit for registered users. So, the add-on is working 10 minutes after the post was made.
testthread.webp

Registered USER GROUP permissions:

registered.webp
If you change the above first post permissions for the USER GROUP to a minute value, it will be overridden by the NODE permissions below.

Registered user group NODE permissions:

node.webp

Last edited:
And just to be absolutely certain it's working. I went back 30 minutes after the thread was created:
30minutes.webp

And still working 2 hours later:
2hours.webp

Last edited:
Thanks for looking into it, Snog!
Turns out.. I was misunderstanding the functionality of the addon!
It only allows the original poster to edit the first post - I was expecting any user to have the ability to edit the first post.

Looks like 'wikiposts' addon might be closer to what I need.

Your addon does work as expected..thanks for your support! Very helpful.

As I think about it more, I think I can get something even better if I make these 2 addons to work together. I'd put a time limit on the ability for a user to edit their first post, and if there are a lot of responses from other users where it'll need edits, I can then use the other addon to mark that thread as a wikipost allowing all user to make edits from that point on. I'm going to give that a try!
Thanks again!

This plug-in seems to be conflicting with a wikiposts plugin. People are unable to edit the wiki if they are the author of the thread. Is there a way to resolve this?

It also interferes with some of Bob’s add-ons. We need to disable it to delete or edit reviews.

This plug-in seems to be conflicting with a wikiposts plugin. People are unable to edit the wiki if they are the author of the thread. Is there a way to resolve this?

It also interferes with some of Bob’s add-ons. We need to disable it to delete or edit reviews.
Amazing. This add-on had been released for nearly 4 years, a year before the wikiposts add-on (not sure about Bob's) and this is the first mention of any conflict with any add-ons. ;)

Both of you, try this...

Put your site into debug mode, go to the development tab in the admin area and click on Code Event Listeners. Locate the one for this add-on and change it's execution order from 10 to 1000 and see if it still interferes with those add-ons. Be sure to take your site out of debug mode after doing that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom