1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[fgX] RSS Extended [Paid] 1.6.1

Adds images and additional configuration parameters to control the RSS stream

Tags:
  1. farang

farang Well-Known Member

farang submitted a new resource:

[fgX] RSS Extended - Adds additional configuration paramaters that controls the RSS stream

Read more about this resource...

2. farang

farang Well-Known Member

farang updated [fgX] RSS Extended with a new update entry:

Version 1.2.0 released!

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. RoyalRumble

RoyalRumble Active Member

Thanks.

With this, is it possible for the RSS feed to display by New Post Start Date?

Currently, the RSS is displaying newest first by last post. I want the order to be by new thread start date.

Thanks

farang likes this.
  4. farang

farang Well-Known Member

That might be a nice feature to add. I will have a look and return here with an answer . :D

5. farang

farang Well-Known Member

farang updated [fgX] RSS Extended with a new update entry:

Version 1.3.0 released!

Read the rest of this update entry...

RoyalRumble likes this.
  6. farang

farang Well-Known Member

I've implemented that function in Version 1.3.0. Let me know what You think about it.

I may need some help from you native english speakers make the following more understandable. I don't know how to explain it more clear but I'm sure it can be improved. Thanks!

RoyalRumble likes this.
  7. dotpro

dotpro Active Member

Nice Add-on.

Any plans to extend its capability to include latest "posts/replies" vs "threads/topics" ?

Also, Media Gallery: Show latest updated "categories" (1 picture in rss feed from each category) vs last 50 pictures uploaded in 1 category.

farang likes this.
  8. farang

farang Well-Known Member

Hi @dotpro, thanks for your feedback. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "include latest "posts/replies" vs "threads/topics"

[fgX] RSS Extended can already be set to choose if the generated RSS items should be generated from threads (New in V 1.3.0) or from posts (standard XF behaviour).

I've had some thoughts about how to let RSS Extended grab images to include in the RSS. It's still at the concept stage but it is a very interesting area.

dotpro likes this.
  9. dotpro

dotpro Active Member

Thanks. In regards to rss generated from threads or posts, I want to be able to show both in different areas of the site. Show latests threads with replies(new replies) and new topics. vB 3.8 rss feed had this option.

Extending the gallery rss feed and be able to show latest updated categories vs just last pics uploaded would be an awesome feature.

farang likes this.
  10. davs

davs Member

Thanks for the addon!

To be sure, I can have it so I share only new threads in news feed?

I can exclude new posts in threads?

Looking at the options, I am not clear on the setting for this...

11. davs

davs Member

Get RSS item time from the date and time of the first post in thread

By default an RSS item is considered new and placed at the top of the feed based on the time stamp of the last post in the thread. By checking this option, the newest RSS items will be those with the latest thread creation dates (first post in thread). If You check this option, You'd probably also want to set the two options above to "First post"

Does this remove all new posts and replies from news feed? I just wanted new threads only.
    Thanks

12. ichpen

ichpen Well-Known Member

Definitely interesting addon. I use RSS heavily now to publish to social networks. One thing I find is treatment of images varies. Is there anyway to add option to default rss image to poster/avatar vs. the forum default? For example in its simplest form first post author avatar as a global default (optional) if an image is not found embedded in the post.

farang likes this.
  13. dotpro

dotpro Active Member

That or just a generic image for that particular forum where the thread is so at least the image will be somewhat on topic.

14. ichpen

ichpen Well-Known Member

Yep. Both options would be great.

15. farang

farang Well-Known Member

Sure You can.

Set "Post position to display in RSS feed items" to "First post"
    Set "RSS item URL leads to" to "First post"
    Set "Post position to display in RSS feed items" to "First post"
    Check "Get RSS item time from the date and time of the first post in thread"

Then, additional posts into a thread will not actualize the RSS Item. That is, the RSS feed will show newest threads. ;)

Yes!

davs likes this.
  16. farang

farang Well-Known Member

Thanks for the ideas @ichpen

Images are important indeed. I will have a look how I can add something like that. ;)

davs likes this.
  17. ichpen

ichpen Well-Known Member

Thanks in advance.

My wishlist on images:

Global option in ACP:
    1. Override image in RSS post/thread with static image of your choice
    - Attach static image URL
    2. Attach thread starter avatar image when no post/thread image is found
    3. Attach last post avatar image when no post image is found
    4. Override any post image with thread starter or last poster image
    5. Static image override when no post image is found
    - Attach static image URL

Or something like this. Would allow for a lot of flexibility.

I'd love to see a per forum default image capability but understand it may add some complexity.

dotpro, farang and davs like this.
  18. Wesker

Wesker Active Member

Does this work for xf 1.3+

19. farang

farang Well-Known Member

It's never been tested in XF 1.3 so I can't tell. You can try it out and if it doesn't work I'll refund You. Please read this before installing, it's always good to be prepared. ;)

20. farang

farang Well-Known Member