[TRN] Discussion Preview [Deleted]

My people are split down the middle. Some hate it some love it. Suggestion: Allow users to turn the previews off.

farang updated [fgX] Discussion Preview with a new update entry:

Version 2.3.0 released

New features in version 2.3.0
  • Option to display smilies as images, as text or to remove them from the preview text.
  • Option to make the whole preview text clickable. Link target can be set to the same as the topic title alternatively link it to the actual post used for previewing.
  • This add-on has now gotten its own Style Property in Admin Control Panel-> Appearance -> Style Properties -> [fgX] Discussion Preview . You can customize the look of the preview text and it...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'd like to listen to You guys what You think about the option "Make the preview text clickable and link it to the actual post used for previewing"

Is this option unnecessary? @BassMan suggested to me in a PM that setting that option may lead to that visitors (guests as well as logged in users) might miss to read the posts in between (if any). What do You think? Should I remove that possibility in the next version or can there ever be a scenario where someone wants to use it?

Thanks!

Thanks @farang for this nice update
I cant make those options work:
Discussion Preview Length
Make the Discussion Preview Text Clickable
Any one having the same issue?

I'd like to listen to You guys what You think about the option "Make the preview text clickable and link it to the actual post used for previewing"

Is this option unnecessary? @BassMan suggested to me in a PM that setting that option may lead to that visitors (guests as well as logged in users) might miss to read the posts in between (if any). What do You think? Should I remove that possibility in the next version or can there ever be a scenario where someone wants to use it?

Thanks!

Hi @farang,

I don't use it myself, but I can see why someone might want to use it. If the preview is of the last post and a user clicks it, but is then taken to the first post or their first unread post, I can see that being more confusing and annoying.

Eg: I might read the last post preview and want to respond to it, if that was the case, I wouldn't care about any previous posts, I would just want to click the preview, read the rest of it, and respond. I would get confused/frustrated if I was reading a snippet, clicked on it and was taken to another post within the thread because it would kill my train of thought and then I would have to read through the rest of the thread or skip to the page and scroll down to the last post before I could even respond. Why would anyone want it to behave this way? lol

Like I say, I don't use it myself anyway (I prefer the urls to be clickable), but I can see this option's usefulness. I mean, if it's gonna be a link, it should link to what it's showing you. If I clicked a link to Google, but was taken to Bing, I would be like o_O :cautious:

Hi @farang,

I don't use it myself, but I can see why someone might want to use it. If the preview is of the last post and a user clicks it, but is then taken to the first post or their first unread post, I can see that being more confusing and annoying.

Eg: I might read the last post preview and want to respond to it, if that was the case, I wouldn't care about any previous posts, I would just want to click the preview, read the rest of it, and respond. I would get confused/frustrated if I was reading a snippet, clicked on it and was taken to another post within the thread because it would kill my train of thought and then I would have to read through the rest of the thread or skip to the page and scroll down to the last post before I could even respond. Why would anyone want it to behave this way? lol

Like I say, I don't use it myself anyway (I prefer the urls to be clickable), but I can see this option's usefulness. I mean, if it's gonna be a link, it should link to what it's showing you. If I clicked a link to Google, but was taken to Bing, I would be like o_O :cautious:

Thanks @RichardKYA for your well-constructed argument. I agree, in some cases it might be useful so we can keep that option. ;)

Next version will have the option for registered users to turn off discussion previews in their user preferences settings. This feature has been requested by @Edrondol as he had users who liked the discussion previews but he also had users who didn't like them. The latter group will now be able to opt out.

I need someone willing to test the new feature for me.

If You are interested, use your old download link and you can see that there is an additional file named addon-DiscussionPreview_v2.4.0_prerelease.zip.

(New customers might want to install the prerelease from the beginning)

Please let me know how it's working. Thanks!

Last edited:
It would be fun to see how Discussion Previews look at different forums maybe after You have styled it. I'd be very happy if You post a screen printout here in this thread! Thanks!

Next version will have the option for registered users to turn off discussion previews in their user preferences settings. This feature has been requested by @Edrondol as he had users who liked the discussion previews but he also had users who didn't like them. The latter group will now be able to opt out.

I need someone willing to test the new feature for me.

If You are interested, use your old download link and you can see that there is an additional file named addon-DiscussionPreview_v2.4.0_prerelease.zip.

(New customers might want to install the prerelease from the beginning)

Please let me know how it's working. Thanks!

I love the preference option. Thank you for adding it along with the style property addition. I tested turning off the discussion preview and it worked for my account. I will announce the option on my forum.

Here's how the discussion preview looks on my forum.

Attachments

• Capture.webp
    Capture.webp
    120.9 KB · Views: 22
I love the preference option. Thank you for adding it along with the style property addition. I tested turning off the discussion preview and it worked for my account. I will announce the option on my forum.

Here's how the discussion preview looks on my forum.

Thanks for helping me testing it @racersimage

Your forum looks great btw! Thanks for sharing.

I have not installed this yet, it keeps getting new things all the time :)
I have been using some old file and template edits to do something not as good but similar as this but will install this soon.
In my version I have moved the prefix from in front of the title and have put it in the beginning of the preview, i think it is nice,saves space and make things look better. I also have moved the date and poster info at the end inside the preview, could also save a little space without the line break. See it as an option suggestion.
Skärmbild från 2016-03-13 17:04:28.webp

I have not installed this yet, it keeps getting new things all the time :)
I have been using some old file and template edits to do something not as good but similar as this but will install this soon.
In my version I have moved the prefix from in front of the title and have put it in the beginning of the preview, i think it is nice,saves space and make things look better. I also have moved the date and poster info at the end inside the preview, could also save a little space without the line break. See it as an option suggestion.
View attachment 130528

It looks nice and You will probably be able to keep your template modifications for thread_list_item just as they are. Thanks for sharing ;)

Top Bottom