yessir

The admin design feels awkward to me. Stuff like this

http://i.imgur.com/56tcGkC.png

I don't understand why the list isn't full page length, or paginated, and why it is scrollable inside the html area. I mean, we all have scrollbars in our browser, embedding scrollbars inside scrollable windows seems redundant to me.

Or stuff like this, opening a modal with scrollbars horizontal and vertical. If the information doesn't fit in a modal, maybe a modal isn't the best way to display it.

http://i.imgur.com/UL81GDy.png

Don't take this the wrong way, I want XF to be great, but the admin panel feels a bit counter-intuitive at times and I think it's something that could be improved at low cost (in time and resources) but have a big impact on users and potential buyers.

It's the first time I've heard this kind of feedback towards the design of the Admin CP.

It's one of the easiest and most intuitive control panels I've used in any software and that isn't just exclusive to forum software either.

On the contrary, if I'm scrolling through a long list of logs, I absolutely want entries to open in an overlay so I'm not awkwardly trying to find where I was in the list each time I've read an entry and return to the list.

As for the node list, it is deliberately not paginated as that would be completely unintuitive as it is a nested tree that represents the actual node list as displayed on the screen. Having it across multiple pages would be considerably awkward to work with.

On the contrary, if I'm scrolling through a long list of logs, I absolutely want entries to open in an overlay so I'm not awkwardly trying to find where I was in the list each time I've read an entry and return to the list.
That's an argument for the modal which doesn't address my issue.

As for the node list, it is deliberately not paginated as that would be completely unintuitive as it is a nested tree that represents the actual node list as displayed on the screen. Having it across multiple pages would be considerably awkward to work with.
The pagination was just a suggestion aimed at keeping the page "short" as that seems to be what the goal was here, by capping the height of output regions in the admin.

That said, my original criticism still stands, it's counterintuitive to embed scrollable regions inside a larger scrollable region.

I realize you haven't heard this stuff before. It's unique content for the Xenforo community to look at the software critically. I'd be very hesitant to call this a great admin. It gets the job done. It's somewhat readable with the jargon-y labels, and such. But it's not top level, and the point of my post was to address ways it could be top level.

I do find the small error overlays annoying though. Not because its an overlay, but because its always too small and scrolling in all directions is required to copy the whole error.

I don't understand why the list isn't full page length, or paginated, and why it is scrollable inside the html area. I mean, we all have scrollbars in our browser, embedding scrollbars inside scrollable windows seems redundant to me.
Because it has been configured like this by default. You can change the behaviour with just removing the class "Scrollable" from the list.

I agree with the OP - it would be more convenient to use the whole page vertically when I'm looking at the node tree. Simple to fix and wouldn't impact those with smaller browsers.

Top Bottom