1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Steve Brewer, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Steve Brewer

Steve Brewer Member

My site isn't loading anymore.

This is the only error message I get:
    Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0

I have seen this thread, but my host says there isn't a problem their end.

I've tried installing it on a server with APC enabled and disabled, still the same result.

Hope someone can help me out here.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. Steve Brewer

Steve Brewer Member

I didn't make any changes, it's on a web hosting server with another company and it seems it stopped working by itself while I wasn't using it.

I can't do most of those steps as I can't get to my admin panel.

4. Steve Brewer

Steve Brewer Member

Oh wait... Found an error log... Just checking it now

5. Steve Brewer

Steve Brewer Member

All I have in the error log is this:

Code:
    [21-Jan-2012 16:06:36] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /home/nwnewsc1/public_html/redstone.net/Xenforo/library/XenForo/Model/Thread.php on line 1179

[14-Mar-2012 10:54:08] PHP Fatal error: Exception thrown without a stack frame in Unknown on line 0
    The first one is from January, but line 1179 in Thread.php is this:

Code:
    if ($this->canApproveUnapproveThread($thread, $forum, $null, $nodePermissions, $viewingUser))

6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a file problem. Try re-uploading the XF files.

7. Steve Brewer

Steve Brewer Member

Can I do that without losing the content?

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I doubt it's a file problem as that first error is ~2 months old.

Unfortunately, this error is nigh impossible to truly debug. It *usually* indicates that there's an actual issue on the server itself (with their PHP configuration). Can you post a link?

9. Jake Bunce

Yes. Uploading the files again won't affect your forum information. Just be sure to do a merge if your FTP client gives you the option. You want to overwrite the files inside of the existing directories, not overwrite the directories themselves.

This upgrade guide shows exactly how to do it with FileZilla:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/upgrade-guide.381/

10. Jake Bunce

11. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It is potentially XenForo related, as this script works: http://redstonerangers.net/Xenforo/rgba.php

But cron.php doesn't. My theory is that the exception is being thrown on shutdown by the database object. I would need FTP access to debug any further. If you'd like me to look into it, please submit a ticket with FTP (or similar) details so I can try to track it down.

12. Steve Brewer

Steve Brewer Member

Thanks guys. I'm in the middle of uploading the files again and if that doesn't work I'll open a ticket. If it does work, I'll post again here.

13. Steve Brewer

Steve Brewer Member

Ok, files are uploaded and now it says Internal Server Error. Opening a ticket now.