1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Log In integration

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Gill, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Gill

Gill Member

When I signed up here I used my Facebook account and didn't have to go through any systems that involved verifying my account. That made sense. The two accounts are integrated but I'm not sure what benefits there are at the moment ... so that's question number one!

When returning to the site having been logged out, I was unable to log in unless I did so via Facebook. My username and password wouldn't work here. Is that how this should work?

Brandon_R likes this.
  2. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Facebook Integration gives a single login point, thus single sign-on is achieved.

This is how it's meant to work. What the admin can do is reset your password for you, so you can login.

3. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

At the moment yes, if you register via FB then that's how you have to log in unless you request a password to be sent to your email via the lost password link. It will change in the future though to make it more streamlined.

4. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

The email will bounce straight off to the Facebook hidden email integration inbox. It cannot be retrieved.

5. Gill

Gill Member

Thank you both for your responses which I appreciate! That now makes sense.

So are there any other benefits for linking to Facebook at this stage?

6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Quick registration and shared logon/public info for websites given premission which was the intent of facebook connect in the first place :)

7. Gill

Gill Member

vrtsolus, I will have to check out how retrieving the password works. Thanks for alerting me to a likely problem.

8. Gill

Gill Member

Thanks Brandon. So the site is linked to my fb account and there is now public info which I can choose to share or not here. That's clear for me. What about other actions? If I click 'like' on someone's post for instance, should that appear on my fb account? Would I want it to? I don't know. I'm trying to delve into what might be the benefits now or in the future. Or alternatively what might irritate me!!!

9. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

The current Like system is not integrated. I assume it will be at some point in the future.

10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Optional I hope.

Personally, I don't my likes to appear on Facebook every time, especially with how easy it is to do here. That would really start to lean into spam.

I do believe that there would be an option to also post it on Facebook after you've liked a post, though.

11. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Ah I open facebook and see Floris' likes, on over many forums. Of course, this is unrealistic.

12. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Most certainly not.

13. Eric J.

Eric J. Well-Known Member

Lol, but isn't the Like system integrated right at the bottom of all the pages? *shot*

14. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes, that allows you to like an entire page, and its purpose is to publish that page to Facebook - but I have no plans to tie our internal content Like system to Facebook insofar as clicking Like on a post would automatically submit a Like to Facebook.

15. Gill

Gill Member

Thank you for clarifying that Kier. Good to know that what I do on one site will not impact on another in our world of social networking!! I was concerned.

16. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

One question...

Since, I made my own account through Facebook, my profile shows my real name and FB profile picture.

I have no issues with the profile picture. But do you have any plans to allow FB users to use a pseudonym in case they want to retain the connectivity but do not want to use their real name?

17. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can choose your username when you create the account.

18. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

ooo. looks like i was too excited while creating the account and ignored that option :p