Email Server Setup

eberkund

I know a lot of you guys are running your own VPSs so hopefully someone here knows what the issue I'm having is.

I have a VPS on Digital Ocean and running a fresh Ubuntu LAMP installation. I used these three tutorials to setup an email server with Postfix, Dovecot, ViMbAdmin, RoundCube:
I went through the tutorials mostly without problems and everything seems to be working properly. I can login to ViMbAdmin and created a test email account for my domain which I can login to with RoundCube. However the problem I am having is that I cannot login to the same email account with Thunderbird and I cannot sucessfully send or receive emails through RoundCube.

Does anyone have any idea what things I could check that might be causing me problems?

What error message do you get from Thunderbird? If it is a connection error then check that the firewall ports are open for 25,110,143,465,587,995.

There are so many possibilities and without more info it would be hard to diagnose; Have you checked the mailserver logs. These are usually in /var/log/maillog but may be in a different location on Ubuntu. Sorry I am a Centos/Redhat guy.
Check that your courier imap, dovecot or which ever mail daemon you are using is listening on the internet visible IP and not 127.0.0.1/localhost.....

Does MiaB support multiple users suitable for giving clients access?

I like that it supports DKIM and SPF, how does that work? Do you need to setup DNS?

I like that it supports DKIM and SPF, how does that work? Do you need to setup DNS?

Nvm...

"Mail-in-a-Box is designed to handle SMTP, IMAP/POP, spam filtering, webmail, and even DNS as part of its all-in-one solution. Since the server itself is handling your DNS, you'll get an off-the-shelf DNS solution optimized for mail."

https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...ail-server-with-mail-in-a-box-on-ubuntu-14-04

Yes, even multiple domain is supported.

Cool, I will setup a demo to play with :)

It is a little memory heavy compared to other solutions, but I think that is just because spam filtering comes preconfigured

Spin a new droplet on DO and you'll have a MiaB running after 20 minutes :)
Are you running MiaB on its own separate VPS or are you running your website on the same one? I ask because sometimes it can be troublesome to manually edit files when you are using a control panel.

Im running dovecot-exim with tls in debian 7. It's not really easy if this is your first vps.

As side note, I never successfully setup a change password option in roundcube. :D

Dovecot, Postfix, PostFixAdmin,Roundcube.. works rather well is configured for virtual users and virtual domains.
Running on a CentOS box.

BTW, @Sheratan, @TJA has it working on his setup. Not going to comment on the new works I learned though.:whistle:

Dovecot, Postfix, PostFixAdmin,Roundcube.. works rather well is configured for virtual users and virtual domains.
Running on a CentOS box.

BTW, @Sheratan, @TJA has it working on his setup. Not going to comment on the new works I learned though.:whistle:
That's what I have running right now, except VimbAdmin instead of PostFixAdmin. It is alright but I like how MiaB takes care of DKIM and SPF for me.

Top Bottom