1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Server Setup

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by eberkund, Jan 24, 2015.

1. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

I know a lot of you guys are running your own VPSs so hopefully someone here knows what the issue I'm having is.

I have a VPS on Digital Ocean and running a fresh Ubuntu LAMP installation. I used these three tutorials to setup an email server with Postfix, Dovecot, ViMbAdmin, RoundCube:
    I went through the tutorials mostly without problems and everything seems to be working properly. I can login to ViMbAdmin and created a test email account for my domain which I can login to with RoundCube. However the problem I am having is that I cannot login to the same email account with Thunderbird and I cannot sucessfully send or receive emails through RoundCube.

Does anyone have any idea what things I could check that might be causing me problems?

2. karlgray

karlgray Member

What error message do you get from Thunderbird? If it is a connection error then check that the firewall ports are open for 25,110,143,465,587,995.

There are so many possibilities and without more info it would be hard to diagnose; Have you checked the mailserver logs. These are usually in /var/log/maillog but may be in a different location on Ubuntu. Sorry I am a Centos/Redhat guy.
    Check that your courier imap, dovecot or which ever mail daemon you are using is listening on the internet visible IP and not 127.0.0.1/localhost.....

3. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

4. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

Thanks, I ending up getting it working with VimbAdmin but I am trying out better alternatives

5. RoldanLT

6. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

@RoldanLT I think I saw you in DO's MiaB Tutorial :D

7. RoldanLT

Yeah, same username :D

8. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

Does MiaB support multiple users suitable for giving clients access?

I like that it supports DKIM and SPF, how does that work? Do you need to setup DNS?

9. RoldanLT

Yes, even multiple domain is supported.

10. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

Nvm...

"Mail-in-a-Box is designed to handle SMTP, IMAP/POP, spam filtering, webmail, and even DNS as part of its all-in-one solution. Since the server itself is handling your DNS, you'll get an off-the-shelf DNS solution optimized for mail."

https://www.digitalocean.com/commun...ail-server-with-mail-in-a-box-on-ubuntu-14-04

Cool, I will setup a demo to play with :)

11. RoldanLT

12. RoldanLT

Spin a new droplet on DO and you'll have a MiaB running after 20 minutes :)

eberkund likes this.
  13. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

It is a little memory heavy compared to other solutions, but I think that is just because spam filtering comes preconfigured

14. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

Are you running MiaB on its own separate VPS or are you running your website on the same one? I ask because sometimes it can be troublesome to manually edit files when you are using a control panel.

15. Sheratan

Sheratan Well-Known Member

Im running dovecot-exim with tls in debian 7. It's not really easy if this is your first vps.

As side note, I never successfully setup a change password option in roundcube. :D

16. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Dovecot, Postfix, PostFixAdmin,Roundcube.. works rather well is configured for virtual users and virtual domains.
    Running on a CentOS box.

BTW, @Sheratan, @TJA has it working on his setup. Not going to comment on the new works I learned though.:whistle:

17. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

That's what I have running right now, except VimbAdmin instead of PostFixAdmin. It is alright but I like how MiaB takes care of DKIM and SPF for me.

18. eva2000

eva2000 Well-Known Member

MattW and eberkund like this.
  19. RoldanLT

Separate Ubuntu VPS.

eberkund likes this.
  20. eberkund

eberkund Active Member

Cool, thanks