[EAE Add-ons] Contacts [Deleted]

Lawrence

Lawrence submitted a new resource:

[EAE Add-ons] Contacts - Allow members to create and maintain contact lists

This add-on allows your members to create and maintain multiple contact lists that can be used when creating a new conversation or thread. Contact lists can be useful for admins to start a personal conversation with all their moderators at once, or all their sponsors, etc. It's also useful for normal members that want to maintain contact lists for friends, or for members they consistently role play with, or to contact all staff, etc.

Features:
  • number of contacts per list...

Read more about this resource...

This looks really interesting and very creatively executed. How do you think this will perform on a big board if members would use this a lot? Is it possible to hide threads from non-participants?

I have three massive feature requests and a small one:
  1. Expand this to social group forums that members can join.
  2. Privacy settings for friends or contact groups. (view profile, album, etc)
    This would solve so many issues with XF and XFMG.
  3. XFMG albums for contact groups.
  4. 'Add to contacts' button on profile.

Last edited:
Hi Alfa1, thanks for showing interest. Performance wise, there should not be any issues. For conversations, once a new one is submitted using members from a contact list, XF handles everything from that point on as per normal. WRT threads, the only additional query is when viewing a thread and the setting to list participants is on. This can be turned off if needed.

There is one additional left join added to the normal joins XF uses when fetching a thread to be viewed, this join only fetches the user_id's of participants for the thread, based on the contact list id (if any). As most forums will probably be set to not use contact lists, the listener is written to exit out as soon as possible.

Also, the number of contacts allowed in a contact list will have an effect on performance for larger boards if it is set to too high of a value. For example, unlimited, should only be given to admins, as they will not abuse it, while normal members should have it set to a reasonable usable number.

I will be adding the option to add a contacts button on members profile page. And I do like the privacy suggestion, :)

I do not have any social groups type of add-on or XFMG to do anything with those. I do have XFRM and have been tossing around the idea of limiting resource downloads, and maybe even viewing resources, to members of a specific contact list.

I'm currently updating my Ignore Stats add-on, and when that is done, I'll be making a significant update to my Conversation Tools add-on. When tose two are done, I'll be heading back to this add-on, and I am looking forward to tackle some suggestions you have made.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. Its clear that you are developing with great care.

In regards to social group forums: I think I should rephrase the feature request:
Please consider to add contact forums. Just like with contact threads, only members that are part of the contact group would be able to participate in the contact forum.

Lawrence updated [EAE Add-ons] Contacts with a new update entry:

Bug fixes, changes, and new features added.

Bug fixes:
  • fixed a php 5.6 compatibility bug.
  • fixed an undefined index error when saving an edited thread from the thread list page.

Changes:
  • changed the minimum php requirement to version 7.2.
  • changed the status' icon to use fa-id-card, to better represent contacts only.
  • changed the thread view icon to fa-id-card and the title and screen reader phrase to invited participants, to make the list of who can participate clearer.
  • removed two...

Read the rest of this update entry...

The function EAEAddons\Contacts\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread::setupThreadEdit() should be a protected function not a public one. Making it public causes errors with other addons.

Ok. When the original method from XF (here in p/c/thread) is protected, then all others need to be also protected?
Ok. Then we have more:

For example:
protected function finalizeThreadReply(\XF\Service\Thread\Replier $replier)

Last edited:
The function EAEAddons\Contacts\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread::setupThreadEdit() should be a protected function not a public one. Making it public causes errors with other addons.
Thank-you @ozzy47, you are correct. Not sure how that was missed. Changed for the next maintenance release.
Ok. When the original method from XF (here in p/c/thread) is protected, then all others need to be also protected?
Ok. Then we have more:

For example:
protected function finalizeThreadReply(\XF\Service\Thread\Replier $replier)
You are right, thank you @Robert9. Fixed for the next maintenance release. I take it you finally registered on my site? One for about every 15 new members has an issue with confirmation emails, I can't locate the cause of this yet.

No, i tried several emails, but nothing helps.

I have you set up now on my site. I sent you the error message I received when your confirmation email was sent, hopefully it is more helpful to you, than it is to me, :)

Sorry for any inconvenience. Stay safe,
Lawrence

Lawrence updated [EAE Add-ons] Contacts with a new update entry:

XF 2.2 compatability change and new feature added

Changes:
  • 3 template modifications needed to be re-worked to be compatible with XF 2.1 and XF 2.2. The affected template modifications were for forum_post_quick_thread, forum_post_thread, and thread_edit templates.

Feature:
  • a new forum permission was added: View contact-only threads by others. This node permission, if set to No, members who are not a part of the thread starters selected...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I'm not sure if these are bugs or if I've got this set up wrong @Lawrence but....

I've set "View contact-only threads by others" to No for Unregistered/Registered - I'm asuming that will hide threads where you aren't part of the contact list? But I'm seeing this on the forum index

Untitled-1.webp

Is there any way to still display the node-meta data (threads, discussions, views)?

Also, for some reason, I have two other "private" displays in "The Social" and "After Hours" forums even though neither of these forums contain contact threads? (Both those forums are set to "Allow contact lists to be used in this forum" though)

Untitled-2.webp

Good day @Gemma.

For the Site Development forum, make sure that the node is not set as a contacts only forum. The last post info should display appropriately.

Also, for some reason, I have two other "private" displays in "The Social" and "After Hours" forums even though neither of these forums contain contact threads? (Both those forums are set to "Allow contact lists to be used in this forum" though)

These forum should behave as normal, with or without contact list only threads. Make sure these forums are not set as contacts only as well.

I need to take my chances in the wild for a bit, when I come back I'll look into this further, :)

Top Bottom