DisQus

masterchief

I am trying to add DisQus commenting system. How to append #disqus_thread to message thread href attributes????

Step 2. Append #disqus_thread to the href attribute in your links. This will tell Disqus which links to look up and return the comment count. For example: <a href="http://foo.com/bar.html#disqus_thread">Link</a>.

regards

I use the DisQus comment system on all of my websites... it is just another way for promoting my network of online presence. DisQus configuration capability should be builtin to XenFor core... peace

disqus.webp

I use the DisQus comment system on all of my websites... it is just another way for promoting my network of online presence. DisQus configuration capability should be builtin to XenFor core... peace

View attachment 48674

Explain to me exactly how a "comment" add-on would benefit a forum that already has the ability to post "comments (it's the little "Reply" link on the lower right of the post you read)? Why even fool with having a forum if you are going to depend on a commenting system that is, in reality, targeted towards blogs and the like?

use it or dont use it... not going to try to convince anyone, that is not my agenda.

I would like ability to turn OFF XenForo replies and use DisQus. my personal preference.

~peace

Last edited:

use it or dont use it... not going to try to convince anyone, that is not my agenda.

Don't plan on using it... but my point remains - explain why your request needs to be in the CORE when there is already the ability to "comment" (it's called a discussion forum for a reason) in place? The only place I could see this being beneficial is on pages. Comments on forum posts seem to be redundant and about as useless as boobies on a boar hog.;)

Don't plan on using it... but my point remains - explain why your request needs to be in the CORE when there is already the ability to "comment" (it's called a discussion forum for a reason) in place? The only place I could see this being beneficial is on pages. Comments on forum posts seem to be redundant and about as useless as boobies on a boar hog.;)

That all seems fair... well thought out and well stated. I would like ability to TURN OFF reply/comment system and use an alternative. Have you ever used DisQus?? It is more than simply comment system.

Being able to turn off present comment system is what I meant to state rather than placing DisQus in the core... of course that would never happen.

Being able to turn off present comment system is what I meant to state rather than placing DisQus in the core... of course that would never happen.
I believe you can do that already with the XF usergroup permissions. Turn on "Post New Thread" for the users but turn off "Post Replies" and then add your code for Disqus to the templates as you're already planning on. At the moment I can't recall if I've done that anywhere already to take a look at the results but you may have to also do some other template or phrase edits so the users don't get the XF 'no permission to reply' message anywhere because it'd be confusing since they can reply using Disqus.

I believe you can do that already with the XF usergroup permissions. Turn on "Post New Thread" for the users but turn off "Post Replies" and then add your code for Disqus to the templates as you're already planning on. At the moment I can't recall if I've done that anywhere already to take a look at the results but you may have to also do some other template or phrase edits so the users don't get the XF 'no permission to reply' message anywhere because it'd be confusing since they can reply using Disqus.

excellent .. I will look into this further.

EDIT .. a reply and a comment are two different things.. I do not want to turn off replies

Last edited:
excellent .. I will look into this further.

EDIT .. a reply and a comment are two different things.. I do not want to turn off replies
MasterChief, pardon me as I'm at the point of the night where I need sleep.... where in XF are there comments that aren't replies? (OK, thinking out loud... the user profile pages?)

MasterChief, pardon me as I'm at the point of the night where I need sleep.... where in XF are there comments that aren't replies? (OK, thinking out loud... the user profile pages?)

each message has a small reply reply button in lower right corner where you can reply directly to a comment. i.e., every comment can have its own reply. XF developers put it in there like that... you can also leave your own comment by entering in the large open rectangular area after last message in the thread.

Interesting. I'd like to know more about how you think you can get more out of disqus, by integrating it into Xenforo, instead of using what Xenforo was built to do. You said,

it is just another way for promoting my network of online presence

Can you explain that a bit better? How would it help you gain more presence?

Scott

[qhavete="s.molinari, post: 560240, member: 66"]Interesting. I'd like to know more about how you think you can get more out of disqus, by integrating it into Xenforo, instead of using what Xenforo was built to do. You said,

Can you explain that a bit better? How would it help you gain more presence?

Scott[/quote]

I have four websites setup in my Disqus account all with a single logon. Every time I enter a comment it gets displayed in All locations at Every website with a link back to comment

It is all relative to my discovery settings.

Top Bottom