1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did post edit history make it into this release?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by Slavik, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

As title :)
    twollert, qpa, ankurs and 2 others like this.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Dodgeboard likes this.
  3. mauzao9

mauzao9 Well-Known Member

That's quite bad, others scripts got that option.

Like some users can trick the moderation with post edits that we can't check :X
  4. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

5. Romchik®

Romchik® Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed something, but why? Why XF does not have a small but very important function?
    Sometimes I think that this is the biggest flaw in XF at this moment :)
  6. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Erm, IP.Board doesn't have it either, and it's been a requested feature over there for quite a long time.

Give the XF lads a chance. I'm sure they want to offer most people most things, but there's simply not enough time in the day to program every feature into the first major update.

I'm sure they've got post edit history on their to-do list (oh, and it's not as easy a thing to add as you might think!).

Shaun :D
    Blue likes this.
  7. mauzao9

mauzao9 Well-Known Member

VB haves it, at least I already saw vBulletin foruns with it.
    And IPB, and many others have at least one notice when you edit the post "this post was edited by XXX on XXX".
  8. CyclingTribe

Yes, but this thread is about post edit history - where mods/admin can look at the changes someone has made to their post and compare the differences (and even restore the original post content).

Shaun :D
    HydraulicJack likes this.
  9. DeltaHF

DeltaHF Well-Known Member

I can definitely appreciate the complexity that an implementation of such a feature would requiare, but it's really quite a valuable thing to have when dealing with troublesome users...
  10. CyclingTribe

Oh, absolutely. I agree. Definitely useful for managing the liars who change their post content after-the-fact, and also for the ones that delete all their posts on the way out!!
    It'll be more than welcome if/when it makes it to XF. :D
    HydraulicJack and Fuhrmann like this.
  11. Romchik®

Oh, sorry. In my post above I was saying about a note that the message has been edited (this post was edited by XXX on XXX).
    Post edit history important feature too, but it's probably not an easy task.
  12. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

Yes GeeksChat is right, IPB does not have this. It will stick an optional "edited by" note after a post but unlike vB it is not clickable and you don't have any access to a log which shows what was edited. Even the IPB admin/mod logs just show the action was done, but not what was edited. vB really is the clear leader in this area, giving access to versions of the edited posts including the original. With XF lacking this you really do need to trust your moderators!
  13. CyclingTribe

Romchik® likes this.
  14. Romchik®

Members Who Liked Message
    Romchik® - Dec 17, 2010

GeeksChat likes this.
  15. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

In terms of implementation it's not a trivial task if you want it done right.
  16. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

17. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

Does anyone know when this will become available?
  18. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Well-Known Member

I'd think it's fairly safe to say that only Kier/Mike know the answer to that, and I'm sure they will make a post about it when/if they have news about it. :)
  19. duderuud

duderuud Active Member

Let's hope so, if we decide to migrate this will be a must have feature...
  20. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

This and a moderator log would be very nice additions :)