Developers verifying after purchase.

Nasr

Ok. This is not directed at anyone, per se. Basically, I've purchased an add-on. I paid for that add on. I honestly don't know how long I get support with this add on. Meaning, I'm not sure if I should get updates for a year or more or less. Anyway, here is the scenario.

Since I've already paid for that add on, shouldn't I get updates regardless of whether I'm xenForo licensed or not since I've already paid for the add on?

What I'm simply saying is, shouldn't the verification happen before the purchase and not after?

Ok. This is not directed at anyone, per se. Basically, I've purchased an add-on. I paid for that add on. I honestly don't know how long I get support with this add on. Meaning, I'm not sure if I should get updates for a year or more or less. Anyway, here is the scenario.

Since I've already paid for that add on, shouldn't I get updates regardless of whether I'm xenForo licensed or not since I've already paid for the add on?

What I'm simply saying is, shouldn't the verification happen before the purchase and not after?

Imho if you were not asked to verify the account when you bought the add on then you should get support regardless if you hold on an active license or not.

Regarding updates that is quite another matter. Say you bought an add on that is compatible with the 1.1.x series of xenforo and when the 1.2x comes out that add on will require a re-write due to things being changed in the new version, then you will have to buy the mod again. The same goes for the same mod if it is updated with a ton of features and the price is increased. At least that is how I see it. But every developer handles things differently I guess.

P.s. It is like you go and buy a car, when a new version of that car comes out, you don''t get it for free, do you :D

Suppose it depends on the initial TOS set out by the add-on developer when you initially purchased it.

Fair enough. However, there isn't anything specific in the TOS in regards to verification. I'm a license holder here. I'm not arguing if a dev should verify. I'm simply saying, if I paid for an addon and an update is released that I'm entitled to download, I should get that update without having to verify. Because, I've already bought the add on regardless.

Imho if you were not asked to verify the account when you bought the ad don then you should get support regardless if you hold on an active license or not.

Regarding updates that is quite another matter. Say you bought an add on that is compatible with the 1.1.x series of xenforo and when the 1.2x comes out that add on will require a re-write due to things being changed in the new version, then you will have to buy the mod again. The same goes for the same mod if it is updated with a ton of features and the price is increased. At least that is how I see it. But every developer handles things differently I guess.

P.s. It is like you go and buy a car, when a new version of that car comes out, you don''t get it for free, do you :D

I don't disagree if the author decides to charge for rewrites. I'm just saying that if an update comes out and the developer requires me to verify my licensed status, it doesnt make sense since I've already paid for it. However, if he wants to charge again for a rewrite that's fine to verify because I haven't paid for the add on.

I don't disagree if the author decides to charge for rewrites. I'm just saying that if an update comes out and the developer requires me to verify my licensed status, it doesnt make sense since I've already paid for it. However, if he wants to charge again for a rewrite that's fine to verify because I haven't paid for the add on.
So let me get this straight. It's alright to charge for a rewrite/update and then ask for verification but its not alright to ask for verification and then provide you with the update for free?

I think what Nasr means is, for example, he buys an add-on which includes 12 months of support and updates.

If during those 12 months the developer then decides he wants verification that he has a valid license before getting an update, it would be wrong as the developer has already agreed to give any updates.

However after the initial 12 months of updates/support, it would be alright to ask for verification before selling another 12 months of updates.

If you've already purchased the product and aren't required to renew then you should be given your product.

If you've purchased the product and need to renew for support/updates then verifying isn't an issue, at least to me.

I confirm licenses on all of my customers so I don't have this problem.

Purchasing XenForo and purchasing Addons should be mutually exclusive. Addon writers don't work for XenForo, why should they care who buys their products? Hell, if someone wanted to buy one of my products, and they didn't even own a copy of XenForo at all (perhaps they wanted to see the code? for training purposes, not to steal it), I would be okay with that.

Purchasing XenForo and purchasing Addons should be mutually exclusive. Addon writers don't work for XenForo, why should they care who buys their products? Hell, if someone wanted to buy one of my products, and they didn't even own a copy of XenForo at all (perhaps they wanted to see the code? for training purposes, not to steal it), I would be okay with that.
I verify that they're a valid license holder as they're less likely to do chargebacks, and generally won't be pirates.

Obviously it isn't foolproof but I have had only one chargeback and most of my styles aren't available for sale.

Previously there was no way to confirm someone is the actual license holder.
With the new license validation it is now possible.
Just because it was not possible to verify you before does not entitle you to the grandfather clause.

This happened to me too today. An update of a mod that I have purchased several mods from this developer (won't mention names as I'm not seeking a witch hunt, just here to give my input) would not send out an update to the newest update recently released until both domain and token were given to them. I found this very odd. I could see yes for a new purchase, but I think for an update, that is a bit extreme.

The way I see it... is it's up to the developer. If you write something for XF, then why would anyone be buying it otherwise, other than likely wanting to redistribute it or steal your work? XF has a token system now to valid the use of an add-on with a license... if you're not doing anything wrong (like buying one and using it on multiple installs when its license for a single install) then you have nothing to worry about and shouldn't fuss about sending them the token assigned to your license.

It doesn't tell them anything other than a verification of your license for their use to ensure your install isn't running a pirated version. Then they can go after pirated versions via the host due to running unlicensed software. Hosts will shut you down quick for that one.

It doesn't tell them anything other than a verification of your license for their use to ensure your install isn't running a pirated version. Then they can go after pirated versions via the host due to running unlicensed software. Hosts will shut you down quick for that one.

They will if they are using a hosting provider that follow DMCA rules and regulations. If they use an "offshore" host that don't care about DMCA then nothing can be done. Most "pirate" sites use such hosting so it's hard to shut them down or make them remove items.

I think what Nasr means is, for example, he buys an add-on which includes 12 months of support and updates.

If during those 12 months the developer then decides he wants verification that he has a valid license before getting an update, it would be wrong as the developer has already agreed to give any updates.

However after the initial 12 months of updates/support, it would be alright to ask for verification before selling another 12 months of updates.

This is what I meant percisely.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one.

However.

If the developer wants to change the Terms of Use, he (or she) should make that known up front with a changed policy. They shouldn't just start demanding that prior purchasers need to start verifying. Announce it in writing, THEN implement the policy.

Top Bottom